• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The famous Toyota 22R 4cyl

Nice motor, ran one over 200k in an 82 Celica GT 5 speed, dad bought it for my sister, she put over 50k more on it, original clutch still in it when it got sold into a hunt club.

Never understood the infatuation. Had a 22RE in a 92 Pickup and it was the most unreliable vehicle I’ve owned. Plus it had no power and mediocre MPG.

Not knocking Toyota, currently have a 2014 Tacoma four cylinder 4wd that I love and has been flawless.

Unfortunately it won't be carbureted here in North America like all the original 22r's :( I ran over 400k miles on 2 older HiLux pickups.. and sold them still running/driving :thumb:
There was a FI version of the original here in the USA wasn’t there?

The 22re I think?

hell i know where there is an original 22r with less than 30k miles on it, its in the rv my brother just picked up lol. how that little engine moves that thing i got no idea but it works

Never understood the infatuation. Had a 22RE in a 92 Pickup and it was the most unreliable vehicle I’ve owned. Plus it had no power and mediocre MPG.

Not knocking Toyota, currently have a 2014 Tacoma four cylinder 4wd that I live and has been flawless.
My 22r was bulletproof, but I still don’t understand bringing that engine back.

Surely their new 4 bangers make more HP with better MPG and the same or better reliability.

I still got this little baby...388,000, and still rollin'.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Unfortunately it won't be carbureted here in North America like all the original 22r's :( I ran over 400k miles on 2 older HiLux pickups.. and sold them still running/driving :thumb:
I know where you can score one mounted in an early 80s 4 wheel drive frame with a Weber carb sitting on top. It's the entire drivetrain. Just needs a body bolted to it.

Back
Top Bottom