• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The "My family is worth it" CCW round and round ....

I carry a Jennings. I'm saving up for a good divorce attorney though.

Seriously, if our military carries a Beretta, along with what -$10K of other battle gear, I don't think money is a huge driving force, I would think for self defense that should be the bench mark. Or Glocks & M&P's for LE, FBI, etc? Sigs?

Custom guns are for target practice and admiration. Carry what ever you can afford, but I doubt anything will make you statistically "More Safe" than a Glock - or the like.

Most professionals that I know (including myself) who make most if not all of their living teaching firearms training to others carry either a Glock 19/17 or a S&W M&P everyday.
One primary reason beyond the most known & discussed ones is that when people are paying you for your time they don't want to see you "fiddling" w/ your gun... they want your focus to be on helping them.

Last edited:
Hum drum..... I especially like the Jennings and 25 acp posts.

Best features of Glocks: price, minimal training, easy to fix, forgiving of lax gun care,( they don't rust, and they shoot dirty) and most importantly, they work. Good all around gun. I just prefer something with a bit more personality.

I've worked with gun "experts". Don't take anything they say for granted. Take the course, pass the test, then make up your own mind after you've thought it over.

10 years ago, I had to be seen in public with a gun pro who went to supper dressed in drag. Was anybody else there? Do you know who it was?

I really do not care what you carry, as long as you are proficient with what you carry, and it is carried. If for some reason, you do not shoot one particular model well, find one that you do shoot well. To say that someone is ignorant or they hinge on ignorance for not carrying one particular model, is in itself an uninformed statement. For goodness sake, don't carry something just because someone feels it is the best handgun on the market, and it may well be, carry what you are confident in carrying because you shoot it well. I have never stated that any one handgun is the best for any one person, and will not do it now. The OP makes a good point about Glocks, but Glock is not a one size fits all gun. There are many other products available, one may be better than the other, but only you have to make that decision. Practice with what you carry regardless of who made it, and become proficient with what you carrry.

I spoke w/ a guy today who tried a Glock, didn't like it but found the Springfield XD fit his hand perfect & asked me if I though he should switch to a Glock.
I asked him, "Why would you do that?" His answer was that that was what everyone else seemed to be carrying.
I asked him, "Why does that matter to you?" He thought for a second & said, "I guess it shouldn't."

Hum drum..... I especially like the Jennings and 25 acp posts.

Best features of Glocks: price, minimal training, easy to fix, forgiving of lax gun care,( they don't rust, and they shoot dirty) and most importantly, they work. Good all around gun. I just prefer something with a bit more personality.

I've worked with gun "experts". Don't take anything they say for granted. Take the course, pass the test, then make up your own mind after you've thought it over.

10 years ago, I had to be seen in public with a gun pro who went to supper dressed in drag. Was anybody else there? Do you know who it was?

I've personally never found it good advice to ignore real, qualified experts in any field... just to weigh their recommendations against other experts to find a consensus.

Guys like Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, Massad Ayoob, Dave Spaulding, Greg Rodriguez, Scott Rietz, Marty Hayes, Jan Libourel, Bill Rogers, Jim Cirillo, Patrick Rogers, Jim Smith, Paul Howe, Kyle Lamb, Tiger Mckee, Ronnie Dodd, etc... and after 25 years or more of studying their teachings & having my own firearms training school as my FULL TIME job for the past 5 years as well as having several people sentenced by local judges to come take my classes, I don't feel like a "rookie" myself.

Last edited:
Guys like Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, Massad Ayoob, Dave Spaulding, Greg Rodriguez, Scott Rietz, Marty Hayes, Jan Libourel, Bill Rogers, Jim Cirillo, Patrick Rogers, Jim Smith, Paul Howe, Kyle Lamb... and after 25 years or more of studying their teachings & having my own school as my FULL TIME job for the past 5 years as well as having several people sentenced by local judges to come take my classes, I don't feel like a "rookie" myself.

not saying its bad to take their advice, but what exactly does their advice say when it comes to carrying a gun?

not saying its bad to take their advice, but what exactly does their advice say when it comes to carrying a gun?

Really not much has changes since what Jeff Cooper said.

It should go bang everytime you pull the trigger.

It should fit your hand.

It should have a decent trigger.

It should have decent sights.

You should carry the largest one that you WILL carry & that you can hit with.

I tend to listen to those who have been shot at, those who have shot at... And lived to share the experience. Everyone gets their proverbial boxers in a bunch, but in all humility as someone who qualifies under the above statement, I submit the words of John Wayne (JB Books) from the Shootist

First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

What is in your hand means less than your resolve to use it.

Back
Top Bottom