• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This is why I'm very hesitant about the Sig P320 models.

MarineEngineer

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
114   0
Reaction score

I dont mean to offend nobody with this post and school me if I'm wrong but I think this couldn't be coincidence.

Sig suffer from the initial drop safety issue - which could be consistently demonstrated, and they fixed.

These subsequent claims seem to be quite different. Some of the claims are almost certainly because some doofus experienced a negligent discharge and to either avoid embarassment or to not be fired for negligence, they claim the gun 'just went off'. Some cases are of women's sigs discharging in their handbag, and when you dig deeper, the gun didn't have anything like a holster sleeve to keep items out of the trigger guard.

I'm not saying that none or even that only a few of the claims are true, but you can be sure that some of these claims are becuase someone Tex Grebner'ed themselves and desperately don't want to be embarassed.

Let's not forget that cops shoot themselves with their Glocks from time to time because they didn't clear the chamber before they tried to take the gun down for cleaning. We don't tend to hear about that becuase it's far more obvious that it was the cops' fault, it's been going on for years, and there's no money to be made in litigation.

Edit: The other thing would be - wouldn't the deputy have a claim against his department, or, at least, wouldn't his department be pursuing Sig for this claim?

Edit: here's another collection of stories - the first being somewhat local.

I can think of a couple of ways these discharges could have happened - and I'm sure a number of other regular carriers could too - that are unrelated to the gun itself.

There’s a video out. A few police officers dealing with some teens in a school. Not on a range, so the assumption is the officers’ guns have been in their holsters for a while.

The holsters appear to be standard LE uniform patrol-type holsters of the Level II-ish type.

Officer is crouched a bit, appears to be doing a search/pat down on one of the teens. As he straightens up, his P320 discharges while in his holster. He was not touching it at the time, and it appears to be fully holstered and “strapped” in.

No way of telling from the video if the gun or holster had been modified, and if they were both in good repair.

People are still talking about this?? The Sig P320 fiasco started back in 2017 if I’m not mistaken. Huge lawsuit and recall to fix the affected units. A change was made in the slide design and trigger. I guess the news will report on anything to keep the peoples’ attention off of Dear Leader Xiden.

The drop safe issue got everyone's attention, and SIG blew it by not making it a real recall and trying to weasel out of it by saying it was a 'voluntary upgrade'. I think that left a bad tase in a lot of peoples mouth.

That being said though, in every case I've seen on video so far with the 'gun going off by itself' it's been when someone is going from sitting/crouching to standing up.

I'm really wondering if there was some obstruction in the holster catching the trigger that pulled it when the officer stood up straight? Do all these cases involve the same holster make and model?

FB_IMG_1690634617014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom