• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This is why I'm very hesitant about the Sig P320 models.

Lawyers gonna lawyer and cops gonna cop. Cops and negligent discharges go together like peanut butter and jelly. So who knows the truth.

If these guns were really going off by themselves they should be able to recreate it.
It's like all those stories of the stuck accelerator pedals were mostly drunk and stupid people hitting the wrong pedal, and rarely floor mats getting stuck on them, with no evidence of any defect in the software/electronics/components controlling acceleration/braking. Even floormats getting stuck on the accelerator is part user error as there isn't a car around that won't stop when you hit the brakes and the accelerator at the same time or you know, throw it in neutral or turn the ****er off. Still ended up costing Toyota and others billions of dollars in recalls, lawsuits and bad PR.

>The real culprit? Human error. More often than not, drivers who reported that their accelerators were stuck were inadvertently flooring it and thinking they were pressing the brakes. Data from many of the “black boxes” from cars involved in incidents of unintended acceleration showed that in most cases, the brakes were never even touched.
The drivers were often in vehicles that were new or unfamiliar to them, or for whatever reason, they just got confused.

>A field examination of 58 vehicles said to be involved in unintended-acceleration crashes revealed no evidence of  brake failure or throttle malfunction. Moreover, these Toyotas were equipped with simple event data recorders (EDRs, or “black boxes”), as about 85 percent of new cars are. Of the 39 vehicles that fit the unintended-acceleration pattern and had usable EDR data, none showed sustained, pre-crash braking taking place and 35 revealed high or increasing accelerator position.

So yea, I'm gonna go with occam's razor, and say it's people and cops not keeping the boogerhook off the bang switch, and either not realizing they had their dick ticklers in the trigger guard, or lying about where their little indians were and what they were doing at the time.

There’s a video out. A few police officers dealing with some teens in a school. Not on a range, so the assumption is the officers’ guns have been in their holsters for a while.

The holsters appear to be standard LE uniform patrol-type holsters of the Level II-ish type.

Officer is crouched a bit, appears to be doing a search/pat down on one of the teens. As he straightens up, his P320 discharges while in his holster. He was not touching it at the time, and it appears to be fully holstered and “strapped” in.

No way of telling from the video if the gun or holster had been modified, and if they were both in good repair.
sig.jpg

It's hard to tell for sure cause the angle is different but it does look like the pistol was higher in the holster before it went off (top still) and lower in it after it went off when he bumped into the other officer standing up after grabbing the guy's legs.

View attachment 6017930

It's hard to tell for sure cause the angle is different but it does look like the pistol was higher in the holster before it went off (top still) and lower in it after it went off when he bumped into the other officer standing up after grabbing the guy's legs.

Kinda what I thought I was seeing. When he bends over the gun looks real high, like something is blocking it from seating correctly. Some of those holsters you have to push, twist, and rock forward to unholster. Maybe it was “altered”

View attachment 6017930

Sorry, I don't have a vested enough interest to watch a 13:09 video, or multiple 13:09 videos. I have a YouTube threshold, and 13:09 is waaaaaaay beyond that. I also won't watch an "expert" expound on a subject if I don't know who they are, or they weren't personally involved in the incident in question. I can conjecture as well as anyone can.

It's possible that the gun and/or the holster was modified.

It's possible that the holster was defective.

It's possible that there was a foreign object or obstruction in his holster that interacted with the trigger.

Whether the firearm was all the way in the holster or not does not matter if:
-the holster is not defective
-the holster is not modified
-there was not an obstruction or foreign object in the holster

The act of seating a firearm in a proper duty retention will not cause the firearm to discharge.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm not sticking up for either side of this argument, as I don't give a **** about anyone that's involved in it so far.

I remember a few decades ago there were documented incidences of LE Beretta 92 handguns discharging, where the officer claimed they did not pull the trigger. I've been an LE Firearms Instructor for over 25 years, and I'm usually one of the first to yell "BS!" when folks make that claim..........as I did in the Beretta 92 case. I know what kind of gun handlers the average LEO's are.

Turns out, they were able to duplicate the discharge. If I remember correctly, they found an issue in some Beretta 92's called something like "partial frame separation". If your 92 had this issue, and the hammer was cocked, there was a chance that it would fail and discharge without pulling the trigger.

Sorry, I don't have a vested enough interest to watch a 13:09 video, or multiple 13:09 videos. I have a YouTube threshold, and 13:09 is waaaaaaay beyond that. I also won't watch an "expert" expound on a subject if I don't know who they are, or they weren't personally involved in the incident in question. I can conjecture as well as anyone can.

It's possible that there was a foreign object or obstruction in his holster that interacted with the trigger.

The act of seating a firearm in a proper duty retention will not cause the firearm to discharge.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm not sticking up for either side of this argument, as I don't give a **** about anyone that's involved in it so far.

I remember a few decades ago there were documented incidences of LE Beretta 92 handguns discharging, where the officer claimed they did not pull the trigger. I've been an LE Firearms Instructor for over 25 years, and I'm usually one of the first to yell "BS!" when folks make that claim..........as I did in the Beretta 92 case. I know what kind of gun handlers the average LEO's are.

Turns out, they were able to duplicate the discharge. If I remember correctly, they found an issue in some Beretta 92's called something like "partial frame separation". If your 92 had this issue, and the hammer was cocked, there was a chance that it would fail and discharge without pulling the trigger.
Yea I jumped around in the video myself, the guy definitely likes to hear himself talk and could have easily given his take in 3 minutes or less and not spend half the time claiming there's a big conspiracy by the police to drive the gun manufacturers selling them the firearms they use out of business...

I just thought his screen shots did show the pistol shifted downward a decent amount in the holster and the pre-firing angle looks to me like the trigger could be partially exposed, and then when he bumped into the other officer as he grabbed the guys legs and stood up something could have gotten into the trigger guard/holster causing the gun to discharge as he stood up and it fully seated.

Again I'm not an expert, I just play one on the internet, if anything was more curious about your opinion than this youtuber I'd never heard of till today.

Agreed
But I have seen alterations to make it “easier” or “faster” to remove.
Some of those holsters were just stupid.

Could be just the angles, but his gun seems to be more exposed than the other similarly uniformed officers.

Other than a passing curiosity, I really could care less about this story. But if I ever find myself on the ground beneath some cops, I will be sure and request nicely for them not to squat if they're carrying a sig p320.

Back
Top Bottom