• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on a company car under $30k?

I have been doing this for the last 25 years.

I put 40k or more miles a year on my work vehicle. Biz pays for gas and wear items plus maintenance.

I buy a nicer 4 to 5 yr old car, 25-30k, with 70k miles on it. Drive it for 3 or 4 years and swap it out at close to 200k miles.

Usually get half my money back on sale.

Trust me, my heart pushed me that way. The Crosstek looks to be a great vehicle and falls into the size I’m looking for. I’ve owned an STI back in the day. Just looking for a smoother ride on those long trips to Miami.
My sister has a Subaru, they took it to the keys last year, first year without the Honda Odyssey in the family.

Took her 3 weeks and multiple chiropractor visits to get right after that trip. Her hubs and daughters were in pain as well....

I have been doing this for the last 25 years.

I put 40k or more miles a year on my work vehicle. Biz pays for gas and wear items plus maintenance.

I buy a nicer 4 to 5 yr old car, 25-30k, with 70k miles on it. Drive it for 3 or 4 years and swap it out at close to 200k miles.

Usually get half my money back on sale.
If my company paid for the maintenance and gas, that would be a solid plan for me too. Honestly, what is pushing me towards Hyundai and Kia is the 36k mile free maintenance plan, better interest rate, 60k bumper to bumper and 100k power tran warranty. At least for my first car. With the inflated prices of used cars, it doesn’t seem to make sense to buy a car with 70k miles to save $5-6k. I’ll be getting the phone call in January to turn in my current car, so I have a little time to try to figure it out.

Thanks for the input.

I purchased a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited back in 2015, the gas mileage was great & had all the options.

Figured the warranty and the good things I heard about them it'd be the smart choice for a family car. Ended up trading it in on the RAV4 due to it having issues like turning off for no reason & the fuel door not opening. They never could find the cause for it shutting off & they "fixed" the fuel door 3 time's. Even the trunk release wouldn't work, thankfully it was a hybrid so I was able to make it to the dealership each time.

New Hondas have been plagued with electrical gremlins and in some motors, excessive oil consumption.

New Subarus, and later model Subarus for that matter , have had a horrendous reputation with excessive oil consumption. Three family members with new Subarus can attest to this. One family member's oil light came on due to a quart low at 2,100 miles on the odometer!!! We had one briefly as I was not up to checking the oil on a brand new vehicle every other gas fill up as recommended by Subaru. Maybe on my old 1976 1500 Chevy, but not on a brand new car.

My car was in the body shop for a few months and they gave me a Hyundai Kona as a rental. When I first got it, I thought that is one tiny ugly car. But after a few months of daily driving, it’s a real handy little car. Had AWD, and with the seats folded I carried a lot of stuff, including three new desks from Office Depot.

I’d be interested in a Hybrid version of that car. Just to save more $$$ on gas.

Back
Top Bottom