• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tomahawk, Hatchet, Axe... HELP!!!

That hawk profile looks really good to me on paper. Just make it a two piece sheath (or something that can be taken apart) so I don't have to worry about stabbing my shoulder while chopping wood. It would be great to cover the rear spike if you weren't using it.

It would be great to cover the rear spike if you weren't using it.

That's an interesting idea. I thought of adding an additional hole near the spike and having someone mill a hammer head that could be bolted on. But that would increase cost, and I worry about stress fractures around the hole. Our pry bars aren't completely sharpened on the point, so that they can be used to pry without fear of chipping. I was thinking of doing the same thing on the hawk. I'll think about the two part sheath idea and see if I can come up with something. Thanks for the idea.

So everyone is digging the old Viking bearded blade look? I was thinking that choking up on the handle would allow the blade to be used like an Alaskan Ulu. http://www.ulu.com/pages/History-of-the-Alaskan-Ulu.html

Diggin it Jon and btw thanks for making me wish I had bought the trail hawk instead of the spike hawk with that video. I am a huge fan of the bearded ax (and for that matter the show on the history channel) here's a battle axe I made a while back.

you know I am a huge fan of your work and I guess we should give fatzombie some credit too, lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 24
I guess we should give fatzombie some credit too, lol

Yeah, he'll be doing the final grind work on them, once I fine tune the design. It would be cool to have some ready for BLADE show in June, but I doubt that will happen. FZ is building custom knives, and I've got to finish up a bunch of sheaths for the bars and his knives.

Hopefully I can knock out a couple of useable prototypes to crash test in the woods once the weather warms up a bit.

Of course these hawks will be significantly more in price than the Cold Steel hawks. I really think the CS hawks are the best bang for the buck, unless you just really abuse your equipment, or your life depends on it.

My favorite of the bunch is the trail hawk. It is lIght, easy to modify, and serves as a multi-use tool.
And here are a couple of pics of mine with a Kydex sheath that I made.

Also, if you like our pry bars from Knuckle Dragger Tools, you may be interested in a hawk design that I am working on. Just on paper now, but soon to have a prototype cut out of mild steel, just to test the balance and feel.

BP knows his tools......i am buying this one next. ^^^^^
My first one is great, but the ulu style blade is not the best chopper.
I want the narrow blade and the hammerhead on the back....for batonning and being batonned.
The spike would be good for digging ginseng, or gouging your eyes out, but it makes batonning impossible.
A 22" handle is a must (long handle with light head for BPing.)

Bone dry cherry wood ain't easy, but batonned just fine!
20140211_155832(1).jpg

20140211_155811(1).jpg

20140211_163823.jpg

Attachments

• 20140211_155811.jpg
    20140211_155811.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom