• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Training changes due to ammo crisis

Ar-15 mag change drills are all dry now. Occasionally I splurge and run some with mags loaded with 3 to 12 blanks to keep from anticipating when I will run out and use a BFA. Now if I can just figure out how to reload blanks before I run out. :D

Pew, pew, pew!

When ammo has reached the critical re-supply trigger and in short supply. I'll work on my long range skill set. 1 round, 1 kill at great distance training goal. It saves ammo rather than burning through a couple of hundred rounds training with pistol/rifle on the short, rapid range scenario.

As others have said dry firing is good and you can do it on the couch. I could practice magazine changes as well. I have a pellet range that is nearly 50' in the basement. An old mattress in a wood frame with wheels allows me to move it around for room. For pistols I picked up two guns that work pretty well and give that satisfying report of lead penetrating the target, hopefully on target. They are good for fast drills or slow fire drills and quite accurate. However there is no recoil. It's both good and bad.

The good of no recoil, when the sear breaks any flinch is immediately noticed and yes some folks flinch terribly even with a 400 FPS air pistol. Once they master that, then onward to .22 LR on so forth until they are proficient with a center fire handgun with live rounds.

I just have to say when the weather is really crappy, sitting, shooting the breeze and air guns in the basement is fun. I highly recommend it. Just a note, I used to shoot air soft in the basement but I'm still finding those damn plastic BB's in cracks and crevices after over after a year or two.

The Walther stacks them one on top of the other

i49.tinypic.com_34ewbjd.jpg

i48.tinypic.com_10ygghv.jpg

Real or fake?

i49.tinypic.com_ve6q8o.jpg

i49.tinypic.com_2d9twut.jpg

i48.tinypic.com_1h7def.jpg

The mobile basement range

i47.tinypic.com_2h84fu0.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few suggestions I have:

http://nextleveltraining.com/product_list has some really nice "Ammo Free" training aids. They have Laser bolt inserts for AR platforms as well as functional training pistols which function like a Glock, etc.

Standard Hunting Ammunition such as .270 Winchester is still readily available. Work on your long distance skills with your hunting rifles. I'm shooting 8 inch groups with a Remington 700 .270 at 600 yards. (No, I'm not telling you where I go to shoot 600+ yards in North West Georgia) :hand:

I used this down time to disassemble and clean all my firearms, install a new safe.

I worked over my Dad's old Steven's single shot bolt action .22lr. I'm shooting a little bit with it and focusing on accuracy. Most Bolt actions will shoot .22lr, .22 Long, .22 Shorts and .22 Subsonic so that expands my choices tremendously.

My girlfriend and some of her friends are going to register for your class. I've been buying up ammo for them where I could find it so they will have enough for your class.

I bought a .40 S&W Sig Sauer for her to use because .40 caliber is still available. The recoil was initially too much for her but she's getting used to it now.

I bought her a pack of Thompson Snap Caps in .40 caliber so she can practice loading, working the slide, firing, clearing misfires, etc. Insert a few snap caps in the mag with the other rounds to simulate a bad primer.

Reloading helps also. I'm scheduling a reloading class for my close friends so they can all start reloading their own ammo.

Last edited:
LOL!

Rocks, the original assault weapon...

That's great... But there's plenty else to emphasize in training. Dry fire, Draw, Mag Changes, hand to hand... defending / accessing the weapon at contact distance, Fighting with other weapons, rocks included. Because any real world attacker that's good at what they do is going to get to you before you get to your gun anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom