• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trouble with a Jeep ZJ 42RE need suggestions

HVACGuy

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
136   0
Reaction score
So I have a 97 Jeep ZJ (Grand Cherokee 4.0 4x4,) and the trans is only shifting at high rpms. I've changed the fluid and screen, checked the TPS, and adjusted the tv cable. The weird thing is, no matter how much I have adjusted the tv cable, I get no noticeable difference in the shifting whatsoever. I mean I've run it from loose to tight, and no change at all. I'm thinking the cable may need replacement. Also, I'm pretty sure there should be a return spring on it, but I don't see one. There are zero transmission codes or engine codes pulling up, no CEL.
Anyone have this issue before?

Did you follow the adjustment procedure in the factory manual?
Yes, and mine is a clip type, not the button btw. Either way, doesn't matter, zero difference in shifting. I've let it all the way out, pulled it all the way tight, and no change whatsoever, which is what has me baffled. Even a small change in adjustment should make a difference...

Yes, and mine is a clip type, not the button btw. Either way, doesn't matter, zero difference in shifting. I've let it all the way out, pulled it all the way tight, and no change whatsoever, which is what has me baffled. Even a small change in adjustment should make a difference...

I am not unfamiliar with these and have adjusted many. But these have to be done step by step as per the manual. I tried to do it "my way" and it didn't shift right for several years.

Then, a few days before I sold it, I broke out the manual and followed what was said. It shifted perfect. Oh well.

You may have a valve body problem, as that is what is at the other end of the cable. Messy, as you have to drop the pan, but not too bad if you have to free up some sticky actuators or valves.

I am not unfamiliar with these and have adjusted many. But these have to be done step by step as per the manual. I tried to do it "my way" and it didn't shift right for several years.

Then, a few days before I sold it, I broke out the manual and followed what was said. It shifted perfect. Oh well.

You may have a valve body problem, as that is what is at the other end of the cable. Messy, as you have to drop the pan, but not too bad if you have to free up some sticky actuators or valves.
Yeah, I'm assuming it has to be something simple, as the trans does shift, and I'm not getting any codes (I used a scanner and the key method.) Just unfortunately I'm not sure what to check next. I hate to drop the pan again as I just put fresh fluid, screen, and a new gasket on it, but oh well. Whatcha going to do?

Be careful
Driving it with the tv cable out of adjustment will fry the Trans

All the shows I see on television use a pressure gauge to adjust the cable

Be careful
Driving it with the tv cable out of adjustment will fry the Trans

All the shows I see on television use a pressure gauge to adjust the cable
It's a toy, so I don't drive it right now. What I'm really trying to figure out is why adjusting the cable makes no difference in the way it shifts.

I've replaced the tv cable, and I was correct in that it is supposed to have a return spring, which I also installed. Now every gear is shifting great except for 1-2. That is still at around 2700-3000rpms. I found out the person before me used a tuner, so I'm thinking the shift point has been changed. I'm planning on checking the programming to see if this is the case...

So I purchased a used transmission with less miles on it, installed it, and now nothing shifts at all. Think I got a bad trans?
I put a new filter and all new fluid in it, and changed the sensors. Even cleaned all the connections and used dialectic grease.
It won't shift out of 1st, and no codes are pulling up. Ugh...

Back
Top Bottom