Truck problems HELP!! GOT IT FIXED

Nob0dy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
319   0
Reaction score
I have a 1988 F-150 5 speed inline 6 and as of right now I have gotten the transmission rebuilt and put it all back together.

The problem I'm having is I can put the truck into gear while the truck is off but once the truck is running its really hard to put it into gear or to change gears. The hydraulic clutch line has been bled out and while the truck is off you can clearly see it moving.

My dad says he thinks the Clutch and flywheel are stuck together since the truck has been sitting torn apart for about a month or two. Any ideas?

I'll grantee the slave cylinder is not totally bled, often takes many time after you'd think it was done, or the cylinder is bad.

Ran into the bleed issue several times.

True Ken.
Dad is right. If it works like several other cars I've worked on then the slave cylinder pushes the rod that pushes the fork that separates the pressure plate bearing disk from the flywheel. The clutch disk is sandwiched in between.
It seems you aren't getting enough travel to disengage the clutch fully.
Bleed it again, take the slack out of the mechanical side by lengthening the rod(adjusting the clutch), or make sure you have it to the floor when shifting.

I'll grantee the slave cylinder is not totally bled, often takes many time after you'd think it was done, or the cylinder is bad.

Ran into the bleed issue several times.
Damn thing better not be bad, I've replaced it twice already!!

True Ken.
Dad is right. If it works like several other cars I've worked on then the slave cylinder pushes the rod that pushes the fork that separates the pressure plate bearing disk from the flywheel. The clutch disk is sandwiched in between.
It seems you aren't getting enough travel to disengage the clutch fully.
Bleed it again, take the slack out of the mechanical side by lengthening the rod(adjusting the clutch), or make sure you have it to the floor when shifting.
Its to the floor and we have bleed it 4 times now, dad said we might need to tow it behind another truck and break it loose.

As long as it's not the trans I'm ok, or if I don't have to drop the trans again I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom