• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Under 21 vehicle carry

November Sierra

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
188   0
Reaction score
I've read that I, being 20 years old, can bring my pistol with me in my truck but the mag has to be out, no rounds chambered and the pistol in a case. I need some LEOs or someone knowledgeable to chime in on this. Can I ride around with it in my console? Do I really need to have the mag out?

You'll find all the info here http://www.georgiacarry.org/ or here http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

.......... Possession of handguns by minors: Minors (persons under the age of 18) are NOT allowed by Georgia law to possess handguns unless the following exceptions apply:

........... If you are not prohibited by law from possessing (see the definition under the "Possession" section at the top of this page) a firearm you may carry a weapon on your own property and in your own home, motor vehicle and place of business without needing a valid weapons carry license. (including the property that the business is located on IF the property is owned by the business owner). You do not have to have permission from the business owner in order to be exempt from carrying a concealed weapon without a license at your place of business (however that does NOT mean you cannot be fired for carrying without permission. If you cross any property in transit between your property, car or office then you would be in violation of the law.

Last edited:
You can carry it loaded in your vehicle once you are 18 in the state of Georgia. Period.

I had my criminal justice professor, who is also a Gwinnett county judge, confirm that for me.

Don't let all the "unloaded in a case" "magazine out" "3 step rule" confuse you. You can legally carry your loaded handgun in your vehicle.

With that said, there are quite a large number of LEO's that do not know that. And you could run into problems with them.

Personally, I don't let that deter me from doing so. But that is just me.

I don't know the law that you are asking about but why push your luck? Would you want to lose your right to own guns by risking getting caught now doing something that might be against the law?

I did not think even after 21 you can carry a loaded pistol in your truck hidden. I might be wrong as most of my gun law knowledge came from living in Florida and now I have my carry license.

Glenn

If you don't mind me asking, where did you hear that you have to have it unloaded? You might be confusing that with Georgia law regarding minors (UNDER 18) transporting handguns in a vehicle.

I don't know the law that you are asking about but why push your luck? Would you want to lose your right to own guns by risking getting caught now doing something that might be against the law?

I did not think even after 21 you can carry a loaded pistol in your truck hidden. I might be wrong as most of my gun law knowledge came from living in Florida and now I have my carry license.

Glenn

It is not pushing your luck if it is not against the law.

Also, Florida allows 18+ to carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle as well.

OCGA 16-11-126(a)

Your answer is right there....

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

Join GeorgiaCarry.org and study up on the actual laws of the State of Georgia.

Not what your neighbor told you, not what your teacher told you, not what the cashier at QT told you, not what.....you get the point.

The laws are there in plain english.

You have a long life ahead of you at this age. Study up, be prepared and knowledgeable.

Jerry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom