• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Under 21 vehicle carry

OCGA 16-11-126(a)

Your answer is right there....

You can carry it loaded in your vehicle once you are 18 in the state of Georgia. Period.

I had my criminal justice professor, who is also a Gwinnett county judge, confirm that for me.

Don't let all the "unloaded in a case" "magazine out" "3 step rule" confuse you. You can legally carry your loaded handgun in your vehicle.

With that said, there are quite a large number of LEO's that do not know that. And you could run into problems with them.

Personally, I don't let that deter me from doing so. But that is just me.

Winner winner chicken dinner

I don't know the law that you are asking about but why push your luck? Would you want to lose your right to own guns by risking getting caught now doing something that might be against the law?

I did not think even after 21 you can carry a loaded pistol in your truck hidden. I might be wrong as most of my gun law knowledge came from living in Florida and now I have my carry license.

Glenn

In Georgia you can put it anywhere in the car loaded or not. Without a license.

(16-11-133)Possession of handguns by minors: Minors (persons under the age of 18) are NOT allowed by Georgia law to possess handguns unless the following exceptions apply:

A. Attending a hunter education course or a firearms safety course.
B. Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting
C. Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group
D. Hunting or fishing pursuant to a valid license if such person has in his or her possession such a valid hunting or fishing license if required; is engaged in legal hunting or fishing; has permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; and the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, is carried only in an open and fully exposed manner (no concealing of the firearm)
E. Traveling to or from any activity described above, provided that firearm is carried in a unconcealed and unloaded fashion.

-------------------------------------------------

What I listed above is where a lot of the confusion comes from, and quite frankly why a lot of bad advice gets posted on here by people that don't pay attention.

It clearly states that in section (E) that you must have it unloaded. HOWEVER, that is referring to minors under the age of 18. There is no law restricting 18+ from carrying a loaded handgun in your vehicle.

In Georgia you can put it anywhere in the car loaded or not. Without a license.

I did not know that. Thanks. Having my carry license made me not be concerned. However that sure makes road rage a scarier thing. Some people got shot years ago in South Florida because of road rage and having guns in their cars. Thankfully I don't live there anymore.

Glenn

I did not know that. Thanks. Having my carry license made me not be concerned. However that sure makes road rage a scarier thing. Some people got shot years ago in South Florida because of road rage and having guns in their cars. Thankfully I don't live there anymore.

Glenn

Yup, fortunately Florida comes right out and says it in their laws that 18+ can carry a handgun in their vehicle loaded without a license. I believe they have some requirements that it be in a snap holster, zipper case, or enclased area like a glove box or center console.

Back
Top Bottom