• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Update: farm truck rescue one year later

linebacker

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
144   0
Reaction score
I like taking things that are older yet not worn out and making them very useable again. Recently I ran across a 1999 Silverado 4x4 for sale that had spent it's life on a farm. It was dented and dinged, the seats were filthy and smelled of cow turds. With having only 120,000 miles on the 4.8 engine and drive train, mechanically it runs and drives good but needed a few things to be better. I bought it for a decent price and went to work on it. I replaced the shocks, tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arms and had a front end alignment performed. It drives and rides straight and true once again. I changed the seats with holes out with a set of good ones from a wrecked truck. (No more cow pasture smell). I changed the in cab air filters that were clogged. I bought some used wheels and tires and a used toolbox. Next is a complete tune up and replace both front wheel bearing and rotors. I still want to do a few other things to it as well to spruce it up, but all in all I am content with the way it is now. I would drive across country tomorrow if I need to. The best part is the fact that I can flat tow it behind my motorhome when I travel for work. The 4x4 selector switch HAS a neutral position.

Before:

01.jpg

02.jpg

After:

03.jpg

04.jpg

I had an 01 GMC years ago that I put 195,000 miles on towing a small 5th wheel all over the country, but like a dummy I traded it in. It was the best truck that I had ever owned. I told myself that if I find another 99-01 with the 4.8 in decent condition I would buy it. I did and I did. Merry Christmas to me.

I had an 01 GMC years ago that I put 195,000 miles on towing a small 5th wheel all over the country, but like a dummy I traded it in. It was the best truck that I had ever owned. I told myself that if I find another 99-01 with the 4.8 in decent condition I would buy it. I did and I did. Merry Christmas to me.

I bet that set you back a few $2 bills

Back
Top Bottom