• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATED with the end result. Replacing a Ford 5.4 in a 2005 F150

KBB puts the private party value at 6-8.5k in excellent condition. You got 4g’s in it now. You drop another 4-6g’s in to get it back up to standard ( if all else is good) and you see where you’re at. Somewhere between 8 and 10,000.00 in a 8500.00 vehicle. You got to drive it forever to break even. I’d dig deeper to see why it seized and back up and punt. My 02

4K in a 4x4 lariat? How many miles on the chassis/transmission, etc…? Seems like a fair deal in this day and age!? I know most of us on this sight are poors and cheap asses but Joe blow general public is still paying 12k-15k for comps of this truck everyday all day!

EDIT: considering condition A+ and low mileage of course…

Anybody had one replaced lately? Wonder a ballpark cost.
The rest of the story, bought this 2005 Lariat, great leather interior.
nice black paint 4X4 , bed cover over all a really nice truck. A nice old
guy tell me he just had a used motor with 103K installed with all new parts.
Say he was driving it and it just quite and he's sick of messing with it. A great deal
I thought for $4K , I figured even if I had to put a few more thousand into it, it
would still be a good deal. Had it towed to my mechanic and he tells me it's seized.
Ya, I'm way to trusting. open for offers LOL
This truck has the 3 valve 5.4 liter, and the valvetrain/heads are the most common issue. Failed timing chains/guides/cam phasers can lock up the engine. Regardless, these issues make buying a used engine a bad gamble. If you decide to repair it, go with a rebuilt engine and make sure it has new and upgraded cam phasers (variable valve timing parts).

Working on truck is just a SOB no matter what. It's so high off the ground you almost have to have a ceiling beam hoist and it doesn't hurt to have a lift. Plus you have to have special sensor sockets, a decent torque wrench which can cost as much as 300 bucks 400 bucks not to mention a couple other specialty tools. Plus an extensive collection of metric and SAE wrenches. Some American cars have both for them it just depends. I would personally spend the money and let a pro do it and I would not use a junkyard motor cuz you can spend $1,000 in labor and be in the same boat you are in now. That truck is definitely worth putting a new motor in. Those kind of trucks are selling over 10 grand all day long even over a hundred thousand miles in the in this market. Be a decent truck that you can rely on for years of service with the new motor.

This truck has the 3 valve 5.4 liter, and the valvetrain/heads are the most common issue. Failed timing chains/guides/cam phasers can lock up the engine. Regardless, these issues make buying a used engine a bad gamble. If you decide to repair it, go with a rebuilt engine and make sure it has new and upgraded cam phasers (variable valve timing parts).
These are common problems but if you get the correct rebuilder they put parts in that correct for these factory defects. So shop around for one that that goes the extra mile and puts in the better parts and correct those problems from the factory.

4K in a 4x4 lariat? How many miles on the chassis/transmission, etc…? Seems like a fair deal in this day and age!? I know most of us on this sight are poors and cheap asses but Joe blow general public is still paying 12k-15k for comps of this truck everyday all day!

EDIT: considering condition A+ and low mileage of course…
My point exactly! In post #27

KBB puts the private party value at 6-8.5k in excellent condition. You got 4g’s in it now. You drop another 4-6g’s in to get it back up to standard ( if all else is good) and you see where you’re at. Somewhere between 8 and 10,000.00 in a 8500.00 vehicle. You got to drive it forever to break even. I’d dig deeper to see why it seized and back up and punt. My 02
In this market you can throw the Kelley Blue book right out of the window of your car going 80 miles an hour. Cuz that's about all it's good for. This market is insane and I worked in the car business for many many years and I've never seen it like this. 2 years ago I wrecked the 2002 ram 1500 SLT with the 20-in wheel package. It had the lit step sides on it ,chrome tubular bed rails, soft and no cover and all the good little bits that made it a classy truck. Well I totaled the darn thing on a Mountain road when it was real slick. I shopped and must have looked at 2500 different vehicles and even the truck with 150,000 mi on it was going for 12 to 15,000 dollars. And the insurance only gave me $8,400 on it.

The truck I replaced it with I lucked out and just by the grace of God found one that an older gentleman was selling because he was losing his eyesight. It was a 2004 standard cab GMC Sierra 1500 for before with a 5.3 liter vortec. It also had the matching painted camper shell. It had 42,000 mi on it and I paid $8,000 for it. At the time I looked at the book and the value was $12,500. They still currently sell for over 10,000 with the mileage that I have now. So if you can get by with $4,000 with an engine swap then I would do that all day long and keep that truck until the wheels fall off. That's the only way you ever get your money out of a vehicle anyways is to drive it until the body rust off or until the thing just falls to pieces in the middle of the road. 4,000 is not a bad deal for a vehicle in that kind of shape that needs an engine.

Personally I think you made a good move and I would put an engine in it and just keep it. Over the time replace some belts, hoses, brakes ect. Either sell it or I would keep it and drive a couple times a week and if you have car trouble down the road the you have a very nice back up driver or snow storm joy rider with the right tires. On a car lot in used cars if you drive on the lot with a 2WD truck it's worth 2,500 bucks automatically no questions. A 4x4 and it runs and drives it's worth $5,000 period. That was back in 2002 so I'm sure it's up by now. That just gives you an idea of what's up even in the worst of shape. So I think it's worth the engine swap. That is if you can swing it I know things are tight. But if you put a cover over it and put a little bit back every week then get the engine swapped you've got a great driver.

Back
Top Bottom