• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATED with the end result. Replacing a Ford 5.4 in a 2005 F150

You can get a remanufactured 5.4L 2 valve engine with a 5-year 1 million mile warranty for 3,200 for a long block. All the parts that tend to fail have been upgraded so that you don't get the timing failures and any other potential failure points have been addressed. $1,000 to get that swapped over and you've got $8,200 into a very nice truck. In today's market that is a steal for a 4×4 all day long . A good detailer could buff that paint job out and make it look like a million dollars. Powertrain Products is the place I looked at that engine.

You can get a remanufactured 5.4L 2 valve engine with a 5-year 1 million mile warranty for 3,200 for a long block. All the parts that tend to fail have been upgraded so that you don't get the timing failures and any other potential failure points have been addressed. $1,000 to get that swapped over and you've got $8,200 into a very nice truck. In today's market that is a steal for a 4×4 all day long . A good detailer could buff that paint job out and make it look like a million dollars. Powertrain Products is the place I looked at that engine.
No doubt, used trucks are at their highest and are holding that value. if you gonna keep it and drive it for a long while it’s money well spent. The 5.4’s just require a lot of love to make them last. I’ve got a 2010 Lariat with the 5.4 and 230,000 + on the clock. But it’s also ready for cam phasers, chain, gears and total top end work. I can do the work myself and I’m still gonna drop 4-5gs in it. Doesn’t make sense to just to do the top end on one with that many miles no matter how good the maintenance has been. I’ll do a Ford crate motor before I’ll do any reman. Any way you look at it, it will still only be worth 10-12,000. At some point in the near future the trans is gonna need building too. Suspension, Drive train etc., etc… they’re not gonna hold their value forever. They’re not collector trucks and doubt if they ever will be, specially in my lifetime.
You have to weight the odds…just saying

I don’t know that I’ve seen a 5.4 just locked up ,

I know they are mechanics , but before I’d condemn the engine as toast , I’d ask the mechanics to send a bore scope in the cylinders and in the oil pan to look around ,
If it’s locked up there should be evidence of major damage visible in the cylinders or in the crankcase .

I’ve seen locked up alternators make people think the engine is toast .
I’ve seen locked up starters make people think the engine is toast .
If it were mine I’d remove the starter and make sure it spins free when you hit the switch .
I’d send a borescope in and see if I could take a look at the timing chains ,

That said , if you like the truck, spend the $4k and enjoy it .

A friend of mine loves their two door yukon .
They spent $4 k for a new engine and about $3k for a new transmission ,
And some more for new suspension bushings and shocks etc

Just did that to my 05 king ranch. Found out after the fact it would’ve been cheaper to have it rebuilt, but it runs great now haha

Attachments

• 3186C874-AE35-40A5-ACF9-5C24EA8FB450.jpeg
    3186C874-AE35-40A5-ACF9-5C24EA8FB450.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DFE14CB2-04DE-4909-AC7A-17B63BD29536.jpeg
    DFE14CB2-04DE-4909-AC7A-17B63BD29536.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 21
If the story of how this one failed and the 'locked' diagnosis are basically correct, my guess is that a roller rocker/cam follower failed, dropping enough small parts (and possibly a valve) to wedge in and make it hard or impossible to turn the engine by hand.

Where are y’all getting quotes for a 4k 5.4 installed?
I just had a quote for 7k on a Jasper Ls 6.0.
I cant imagine that anyone is finding a 5.4 installed for $4000. I have seen $1000 for labor thrown around as well. The engine replacement is a 20+ hour job so probably closer to $2500-$3000 labor and that does not include the misc parts required for the swap. I think the truck is still worth fixing just want everyone to have realistic expectations going in.

The interior looks great and shows its been taken care of.

Where can I buy a remanufactured with a 5 year warranty for $3,200? The shop quoted $5k for the motor and $5k labor. 3 year warranty.

Where you gonna get a real mechanic to finish a long block, pull a motor and put one back in turn key for a $1000.00?
I think those days went with the 70’s.

Also keep in mind if a shop can buy a motor for $3500 they won’t sell it to you for $3500. They are tying up their cash, they have to pay someone to order, track, receive, unload, tie up core money, arrange pickup, bolt core and help load on truck. They have to make money to keep the doors open. I’m not saying they should double their money or that you don’t believe they should just want you to realize there is more to it than it just appearing on an engine hoist ready for components to be swapped.

Back
Top Bottom