• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander...

Do you buy at asking price or negotiate?

• Buy at asking price

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Make an offer or start a conversation to negotiate

Votes: 29 96.7%

• Total voters
I will play here also.

There are sellers on this site that have missed an opportunity to sell some things quickly because I guess they deemed my offer a “lowball” not worthy of response. Unless their item is truly rare, hard to find or collectible...then I’m generally gonna offer about 90% of what I think is retail value, based on BLUE BOOK and sold Gunbroker auctions. For like new guns I will generally use the 98% value from BB unless the gun is collectible, perfect and in the original box. Some of those initial offers of mine have been ignored...and I was fully prepared to pay their asking price. But they never knew that because they were either too offended by my INITIAL offer or too busy to reply so that they never found out what I was willing to pay. Oh well. Next.

If I want the item and they want retail...then maybe I’ll buy, maybe not...certainly no urgency to buy on my part because I can get one anytime at their price or better. I think perhaps the problem in these situations is that the seller paid too much for the item or they don’t understand economics of used gun trading.

ellis.jpg

Back
Top Bottom