• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What a REAL truck looks like.

Several years back there was a snow event in Athens. Some dude in a Ford Excursion ran off into the median and was stuck in the snow and boggy mud. I was in my 1989 4Runner on the asphalt, hooked a snatch strap to him, and pulled him out - which, of course, proves that a Toyota is a "real" truck and a Ford isn't.

I mean, the fact that I was on a surface with good traction and he wasn't has nothing at all to do with it, right?
Excursion is an SUV and so is a 4Runner therefore your argument is invalid. :boink: 😀

Never heard anything like it. I have been in auto repair biz for a while. I am not saying it ain’t true,( I don’t think it is,) but I am just saying I haven’t heard anything about that one way or another.
I can’t see how jacking up one tire/side can do anything to a vehicle (besides on some kind of vehicle suspension leveling system or something but that isn’t what is being questioned, correct ?

A relative of mine has one of the electric mustangs (I know) and he told me the tire could not be changed unless in the shop. The reason he gave was something about not being able to jack it up unevenly and/or the motor on each wheel making that a process that could not be done on the side of the road like a regular car. I don't know first hand if that is 100% accurate or if it is just on the electric mustang and not other electric vehicles. But, the relative is an engineer, not stupid, and not lazy. So, not sure. Guess I'll google-fu it.

Edit....

But wait, there's more....

Can you actually change the tire? I thought electric vehicle tires had to be towed to the shop to have tires changed. Something to do with not being able to jack it up unevenly due to the motors or batteries or something.
It's a truck, you just change the damn tire roadside like any other truck.

I didn't know if it was different for the tesla truck. Seems to be some extra steps or things to watch out for for some electric vehicles.
Yeah, some of the sportier cars, not just EV's, have all sorts of traction control and stuff I'm sure there is extra steps.
Don't think any of that applies to the cyber truck though, Elon ain't dumb enough to make a truck that the tire couldn't be changed. Plus there's an option for airless tires. Airless tires are going to be the future too probably. Reinventing the tire is long overdue.

Yeah, some of the sportier cars, not just EV's, have all sorts of traction control and stuff I'm sure there is extra steps.
Don't think any of that applies to the cyber truck though, Elon ain't dumb enough to make a truck that the tire couldn't be changed. Plus there's an option for airless tires. Airless tires are going to be the future too probably. Reinventing the tire is long overdue.

I do like that's it's bulletproof. That's super cool. If we could figure out better energy production methods, better energy storage that discharges appropriately for things like vehicles, and the support infrastructure was more in place, I'd be more on board with the whole electric thing. My brother in law has a Rivian. It's pretty cool. But to get down to just Amelia Island by Jacksonville he has to go from north Atlanta to Augusta and down because he says that's the best route with charging stations. He is a pretty meticulous magoo dude. If he says that's the easiest best route that means he analyzed every other one in detail. Unfortunately, I don't think solar and wind farms are gonna cut it.

I do like that's it's bulletproof. That's super cool. If we could figure out better energy production methods, better energy storage that discharges appropriately for things like vehicles, and the support infrastructure was more in place, I'd be more on board with the whole electric thing. My brother in law has a Rivian. It's pretty cool. But to get down to just Amelia Island by Jacksonville he has to go from north Atlanta to Augusta and down because he says that's the best route with charging stations. He is a pretty meticulous magoo dude. If he says that's the easiest best route that means he analyzed every other one in detail. Unfortunately, I don't think solar and wind farms are gonna cut it.
But Hydrogen would and I believe will be the fuel of the future...Unlimited supply and when combusted it's waste is water.

Unfortunately, I don't think solar and wind farms are gonna cut it.
I ain't buying and EV anytime soon myself, still think a lot of them are cool though. And I think they are wildly misunderstood.

Cool thing about an EV is you can power it with literally any energy source, solar, wind, hydro, coal, nuclear, doesn't matter anything that makes energy you can take that energy and put it into your car. Can't do that with gas, it only takes gas, nothing else.

That's why everything in our houses is electric despite where you live, some places power with coal, some with nuclear, some with hydro.

Gas engines are limited to only being able to use gasoline. That's very limiting, and a very fragile supply chain. We see the panic every time there is even a minor bump in that chain.

People can hate on EV's and solar all they want, but from a prepper and SHTF point of view having a very sophisticated solar panel system and a EV makes perfect sense. Your gasoline and diesel are going to be absolutely useless when the system collapses, but if you have good solar panels you can steal that free energy from the giant nuclear reactor in the sky that moves over you house every day, you have an endless supply of power, not only for your home, but to be able to travel some too.

I ain't buying and EV anytime soon myself, still think a lot of them are cool though. And I think they are wildly misunderstood.

Cool thing about an EV is you can power it with literally any energy source, solar, wind, hydro, coal, nuclear, doesn't matter anything that makes energy you can take that energy and put it into your car. Can't do that with gas, it only takes gas, nothing else.

That's why everything in our houses is electric despite where you live, some places power with coal, some with nuclear, some with hydro.

Gas engines are limited to only being able to use gasoline. That's very limiting, and a very fragile supply chain. We see the panic every time there is even a minor bump in that chain.

People can hate on EV's and solar all they want, but from a prepper and SHTF point of view having a very sophisticated solar panel system and a EV makes perfect sense. Your gasoline and diesel are going to be absolutely useless when the system collapses, but if you have good solar panels you can steal that free energy from the giant nuclear reactor in the sky that moves over you house every day, you have an endless supply of power, not only for your home, but to be able to travel some too.

I have sophisticated solar and some electric things as back up. In that respect it makes a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom