What did we learn from Irma?

I am not what you would consider a prepper, but I do have some, what seems more and more uncommon, common sense. I have a generator, multiple gas cans, spare propane tanks full of propane, plenty of bottled water, and enough non-perishable food to last a while, etc.. - of course guns and ammo with out saying. It is just that I have been through enough storms and power outages that lasted for days, that I have some idea what is needed to help me through those times. I have what looks to be a future brother inlaw who thinks he is the expert on everything. The reality is that he is far, far removed from that position. Hang on while I catch myself from going down this path. Anyway, he and my sister live in FL. When Irma was heading there, still a cat 5 and big as H3LL, I was trying to get my sister to get on the road to get the heck out of FL. He was not wanting to leave. He said there was no where to get gas. This was when gas was still pretty plentiful and most stations had gas. I told them to get some gas cans, fill them up even if they need to siphon from their other cars. Get this, he said that gas cans were too dangers to use. Maybe someone should inform UL and FM that they have their listing and approval on unsafe containers. So they didn't get on the road. The next day, I told my sis if that dumb @$$ wanted to stay there, I would come get her. The next morning they were on the road headed north with no gas cans. They had just about waited too long. By that time, I75 was like a parking lot, and some gas lines were 2 hour waits. It took them many many hour to make it even to south GA. All hotel/motel rooms were sold out. They were very tired and very miserable - all self inflicted. They eventually, the next day, made it to my house and stayed for a few days. I guess he must have had a change of perspective because when he left, he took three of my full 5-gallon gas cans with him.
Well hopefully your future brother-in-law learned a lesson from the whole experience and will do some things to be better prepared in the future so he can take care of himself and your sister.

I'm lucky in that regard because my sis is married to a guy with the same mindset that a lot of us here have. He EDC's and has plenty of preps for whatever might arise. He's a real great guy.

Will be updating my 1974 breaker panel with a direct feed from generator (yet to be purchased). Otherwise good to go. Propane and grill to cook, just tired of cables and wires all over the floor. Oh, and AT&T sux as bad or worse than COX cable and Georgia Power.

Yesterday, I bit the bullet and installed a 240 volt, 30 amp receptacle to back feed my power panel. Also, just ordered a 40 foot, 240 volt, 30 amp extension cord to go with it. Next time I loose power, I will be glad that is all ready to go. Time to change the oil and gas in my generator. Don't forget the gas stabilizer. Those dual fuel generators look like they would be the way to go. Just run then on propane and switch to gas only if out of propane. No gunk from old propane!

Yesterday, I bit the bullet and installed a 240 volt, 30 amp receptacle to back feed my power panel. Also, just ordered a 40 foot, 240 volt, 30 amp extension cord to go with it. Next time I loose power, I will be glad that is all ready to go. Time to change the oil and gas in my generator. Don't forget the gas stabilizer. Those dual fuel generators look like they would be the way to go. Just run then on propane and switch to gas only if out of propane. No gunk from old propane!
Just don't forget to trip the main on your service panel BEFORE you fire up the generator. Don't want to electrocute a neighbor or power guy. That's the reason I went with a transfer panel.
If I'd realized what a PITA a gasoline generator is (left old gas in mine too long once, took forever to get it cleaned out and running smoothly again), I'd have gone with a dedicated natural gas unit.

Just spent 3 1/2 days doing this. Prepped a covered area away from the house for generator, trenched in 80 ft of cable, installed panels to isolate generator power from power co power. All propane tanks are full. Ops checked install, all A-OK.

My next project is to move my 200 gal tank to a pad near where the generator will be. Will be more digging and ditching.

It takes nearly as long to find and purchase the needed parts as it does to install them.

edit to add: I knew I needed to do this for a long time. I finally did it when I saw the horrendous voltage drop from using extension cords. That and the damage my neighbor did to his fridge, washer and stove from trying to use improper power feeds to them.

Just spent 3 1/2 days doing this. Prepped a covered area away from the house for generator, trenched in 80 ft of cable, installed panels to isolate generator power from power co power. All propane tanks are full. Ops checked install, all A-OK.

My next project is to move my 200 gal tank to a pad near where the generator will be. Will be more digging and ditching.

It takes nearly as long to find and purchase the needed parts as it does to install them.

Damn. You Da Man!!

Damn. You Da Man!!

I had done it at a previous house for Y2K, so I had a blueprint in mind for what needed doing. At the other install, I needed to power a deep well to provide water for 100 cows. They would die in less than a week with no power. with that motivation, I got the info and hardware I had to have.

It is easy to do, just a bunch of work that you never get to appreciate unless and until you lose power.

Just don't forget to trip the main on your service panel BEFORE you fire up the generator. Don't want to electrocute a neighbor or power guy. That's the reason I went with a transfer panel.
If I'd realized what a PITA a gasoline generator is (left old gas in mine too long once, took forever to get it cleaned out and running smoothly again), I'd have gone with a dedicated natural gas unit.
I've been pondering about this: If there's a widespread power outage, what keeps the N.G. in the line pressurized? Is there a local, or far away pumping station? Will the pressure stop if no power(similar to county/city water)?

Back
Top Bottom