• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What exactly is the point in peeking at my gwcl?

Actually, I doubt many would. As mentioned somewhere else permit holders are less likely to be criminals than cops are. Florida revoked about 10 permits per 100,000 over the last 30 years. mostly for misdemeanor crimes. the odds of a person showing a current permit being a felon are pretty dang slim.

Pretty sure that would be because you were in the armed forces.

And sorry, but yeah you do need to be a GA resident to get a GA license. It's right on the DMV page. In fact you need (2) documents to prove it.

For a carry permit, you need to prove your county address using a verified document like a passport or GA drivers license. From the state web page...
  1. You will need the following documents;
    • Completed application form.
    • Copy of birth certificate or US passport
    • Drivers license or state ID card showing your county address
Again, some of this probably changes around if you are active military.
actually, as a member of the military, you need only be stationed in the state to get a gwl...plus you can get carry permits from other states without living in those states...

Actually, I doubt many would. As mentioned somewhere else permit holders are less likely to be criminals than cops are. Florida revoked about 10 permits per 100,000 over the last 30 years. mostly for misdemeanor crimes. the odds of a person showing a current permit being a felon are pretty dang slim.

And sorry, but yeah you do need to be a GA resident to get a GA license. It's right on the DMV page. In fact you need (2) documents to prove it.

For a carry permit, you need to prove your county address using a verified document like a passport or GA drivers license. .

For a carry permit, you need to prove your county address using a verified document like a passport or GA drivers license. From the state web page...
  1. You will need the following documents;
    • Completed application form.
    • Copy of birth certificate or US passport
    • Drivers license or state ID card showing your county address
Again, some of this probably changes around if you are active military.

Nobody is arguing that you can legally obtain either license without meeting the statutory requirements at the time of application and none of that :blah: changes the fact that someone can show you a valid on its face GA Drivers License and GWP and not be a resident of the state AND a convicted felon. As I stated in an earlier post I have personally removed a NAA Mini from the front pocket of a convicted felon that had a GWP in his wallet that was valid on its face.

So you know you aint buyin a murder weapon.
LOL, walking gun shows I sometimes get the "Why you sellin' it?" question. I started telling people, "Well....I kept telling that bitch to keep her mouth shut but she just wouldn't listen. So now the poleece are closing in and I need to git rid of this damned thing quick."

Nobody is arguing that you can legally obtain either license without meeting the statutory requirements at the time of application and none of that :blah: changes the fact that someone can show you a valid on its face GA Drivers License and GWP and not be a resident of the state AND a convicted felon. As I stated in an earlier post I have personally removed a NAA Mini from the front pocket of a convicted felon that had a GWP in his wallet that was valid on its face.

Gotcha. You're talking faked IDs. I was thinking along the lines of us mostly law-abiding types.

I'll agree 100% on the licenses, since I'm sure there's plenty of phoney ones out there for all kinds of uses. Heck, I used a fake ID for years to buy booze in a state that won't be named and a year that is well past the statute of limitations.

I never really thought of people faking carry permits, but I guess I could see how that would be a plus for a crook in GA, where they let you skip the NICs check with one, as well as maybe fooling a cop or two if they catch you with a gun.

So a potential buyer shows me his GWCL and it turns out to be fake, am I still responsible?

Nobody would reasonably expect you to be a forgery expert, just as they wouldn't expect you to be psychology expert. You have to keep in mind, if you're ever in front of a jury: They're average folks, and they'll be asking themselves "What would I have done?" when judging the choices you made. Somebody showed you a fake GWL? Maybe they see you as a victim, too. Didn't bother to ask for a GWL? Maybe they see you as a careless facilitator of the tragedy.

If you are that worried then only a 4473 and background check at an FFL dealer would completely cover you...and even that's not 100%.

I'm not worried. Just trying to relay the realities of what could happen if you were upstream of a tragedy with a sold gun, chased by a lawsuit.

And that's exactly why 'expanded background check' laws get so much traction even though all they do is make felons out of law abiding people.

I've had a lot of gun owners tell me 'that sounds like a good idea' when they first hear about these 'expanded' checks. I know the gun control lobby is full of BS when they say that '80% of gun owners support them', but I'd bet that more than half would because they don't understand the repercussions, and they don't know that less than 1% of criminals get guns illegally through private sales.

The whole expanded background thing has been put on the back burner by gun control advocates because it failed so spectacularly after Sandy Hook. Nowadays 'red flag' laws are all the rage, and again we're hard pressed to argue against them without sounding like total whack-jobs.

I gotta agree that it's no great imposition to ask to see a carry license, and if that makes the seller happy then fine. If the buyer doesn't like it (just like with a BOS0, then they can move on and find another purchase. Seeing a carry license isn't going to prove that the buyer is legit, but it certainly ups the odds significantly, so I really can't blame folks for asking.

Carry license holders are far less likely to be convicted of a serious crime. Maybe because they don't want to lose their license?
If it makes a person feel more comfortable with a sale then that is their business. People I have not asked for a GWCL usually still offer to show it.

I'm willing to bet "carry license holders". whatever they are, get divorced at the same rate as non-holders, and a TPO means they aren't eligible to buy a firearm.

Back
Top Bottom