• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What kind of accuracy do y'all get with 22lr through an 10.5" AR pistol with 1x7 twist ?

I get MOG (moment of groundhog) groups at 100+ yards with my KIDD-barreled 10/22 with bulk ammo. Plenty good enough for the groundhog control.

At 25 and 50 this gun will shoot inside a dime all day long with the same bulk ammo.

Are you shooting 60 grain ammo out of you 1:9 or 1:8 barrel? If not, you'll never get good groups.
he is talking about the drop in bolt for ar 15's.

Shooting "slung up" with an Aimpoint I usually get 2.5-3 MOA at 25 meters out of my 1x9 twist barrel. I figure that's not too bad considering the dot was 4 MOA.

I use the CCI made for AR conversions (40 grain, I think), although Winchester white box does just about as well.

Everything about it is all wrong: Barrel is too big, there's a huge "jump" to the rifling (Ceiner conversion), and the twist rate is wrong.... But it works quite well anyway.

I have not tried this setup out to 100 yards. I need to do that with my next range trip!

Shooting "slung up" with an Aimpoint I usually get 2.5-3 MOA at 25 meters out of my 1x9 twist barrel. I figure that's not too bad considering the dot was 4 MOA.

I use the CCI made for AR conversions (40 grain, I think), although Winchester white box does just about as well.

Everything about it is all wrong: Barrel is too big, there's a huge "jump" to the rifling (Ceiner conversion), and the twist rate is wrong.... But it works quite well anyway.

I have not tried this setup out to 100 yards. I need to do that with my next range trip!
Accuracy drops off pretty badly at 100 yards. I was getting slightly worse than minute of pie plate at 100 yards. I was using Federal Auto Match and a dedicated CMMG upper. At 25 yards its basically one ragged hole.

I think if I was using some better ammo like Eley or Wolf, I would have had much better results at that distance.

Accuracy drops off pretty badly at 100 yards. I was getting slightly worse than minute of pie plate at 100 yards. I was using Federal Auto Match and a dedicated CMMG upper. At 25 yards its basically one ragged hole.

I think if I was using some better ammo like Eley or Wolf, I would have had much better results at that distance.

You need to try different ammo if you're shooting a dedicated upper and not doing any better than that. My friend's dedicated DPMS upper will shoot inside of 2" easily at 100 yards, just "slung up"; not off of a rest.

Personally, I have not had good luck out of any 22 that I own with Federal Auto Match. Try CCI and I'll bet you'll get better results. We frequently have shooters at Appleseed events shooting 3-5 MOA with 10/22's and iron sights, even at 100 yards. A dedicated upper should do just as well, if not better.

When I was running the CMMG bolt in my 1x7 AR, it would group within 4” at 25yd offhand. Never tried rested or shot beyond that distance. I felt it was quite acceptable for plinking.

You need to try different ammo if you're shooting a dedicated upper and not doing any better than that. My friend's dedicated DPMS upper will shoot inside of 2" easily at 100 yards, just "slung up"; not off of a rest.

Personally, I have not had good luck out of any 22 that I own with Federal Auto Match. Try CCI and I'll bet you'll get better results. We frequently have shooters at Appleseed events shooting 3-5 MOA with 10/22's and iron sights, even at 100 yards. A dedicated upper should do just as well, if not better.
I was a little disappointed myself, but I haven't been too impressed with Auto Match. I was more or less just burning through old ammo that day, stuff I got back when Auto Match was just about the only thing on the market. It was surprising how inconsistent it was at 100 yards. No doubt higher quality ammo would have gotten better results.

Back
Top Bottom