What kind of gun and caliber is your wife/girlfriend/mother carrying?

Both my wife and daughter carry 22 caliber 9 shot snub nose revolvers. They don't like the noise or recoil of larger guns, even 32 cal. Both can shoot the eyes out of snake with their little pistols. I feel it is better for them to carry a gun they are comfortable with and accurate shooting, than a larger caliber they hesitate to shoot.

Sound like perhaps they should use hearing protection when they are practicing if that is the only reason they don't like a more effective caliber.

I just picked up an LC9...seems like a great size and even has a safety (which the women shooters seem to like)

The size is great & the trigger is revolver like but under the stress of a life/ death situation she will NEVER remember or be able to manipulate that tiny little safety lever fast enough to get it into action.

Jeff Cooper said years ago that a person should carry the largest gun that they WILL carry, that fits ther hand, & that they can hit with.

That's great advice for men & women even today.

My wife's 2 favorite guns are her Glock 19 & Ruger LCR .38.
She doesn't like the Ruger LCP because it kicks too much for her.

In our classes which we have MANY women come through ( 7 ladies in 2 different classes last week alone) the most popular guns are:

Ruger LCR
Glock 19
Kahr CW9
Ruger LCP/Taurus TCP/ S&W Bodyguard .380
S&W 642,638,36 (triggers can be hard to press double action though)
Springfield XD 3.8
S&W 9mm M&Pc
Bersa .380
Kel-tec PF-9
Ruger LC9
Ruger SR9c

That pretty much covers most (but not all) of the good choices that we see.

Last edited:
S&W 38spl Snubbie, no racking the slide, no safety to flip, no mag to drop. Just Point and Pull The Trigger!

Modern lightweight semi-autos are not real forgiving of bad technique. The majority of the weight is in the slide which makes it necessary for the "operator" to hold it firmly for the gun to cycle correctly .
Semi-autos are great for those willing to learn how to use them properly but the simplicity of the revolver is a good choice for many.

The wife currently carries a Kahr CW9. She would prefer to carry my K9 but can not operate the slide to her satisfaction. She has a 2 1/4" Ruger SP101 357 mag but I am currently carrying it until I get mine checked out.

I am of the opinion that a 22 on you is better than the 45 you leave at home or in the truck.

Back
Top Bottom