• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

what products do you use to sharpen knives?

Resized_20181216_180907.jpeg
Stone...

Wicked edge with diamond and ceramic stone

Work sharp with or without grinding attachment.

Sharpmaker dor quick touch ups and serrations before diamond rods are needed

Leather strops loaded with fine diamond paste.
Mousepad w sandpaper
Updated cersion of that is micromesh cusioned abrasives.
Got a bunch of pocket stones and usually tote one of them and/or a little honing rod that looks like a mini version ofthe one in yer kichen block-bout a cigarette long but skinnier.
A wierd old buck steel as well as a neat guide thingy they made to keep an even angle on stones.

Wicked edge and worksharp will handle most anything. Sharpmaker is cheap, fast and effective and what Id recomend for most people. 90% of folks freehanding are taking way too much steel off their blade.

All the other stuff is cause im a nerd and think its interesting to try different things andsometimes you just need a mirror edge. Sharpening is really rythmic and relaxing. Sorta focussed, sorta spaced...definately not worrying bout today, yesterday or tomorrow. Its my fat guy yoga.
My left arm stays pretty sexy and shaved.

Depends, most of the kitchen knives get a quick run on a 120 grit 4x36 belt on my Delta sander and a follow up with a 400-600 grit belt. If I think a bit more of the knife it tends to get the old Norton tri-hone pulled out and hand sharpened. Got a couple that I use a Gatco sharpening stone set on. Everyday usage tune ups are done with my old trusty butchers steel and an occasionally run on and old EZ lap diamond still. I might ad that I've tried a lot of different thinks over the years, from window glass to sharkskin (it works) to some pretty nice stones.

Back
Top Bottom