• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What should i know before buying first diesel truck? Should i even buy one?

The diesels of today aren't the diesels of yesterday... I've blown up 4 duramxs..and 2 power jokes. From 06 to 16....injectors..turbos...egr coolers...complete fuel systems....the cost of ownership outlays the benefits unless you tow something every day for work...stick with an ls powered 3/4 ton...if you want to keep something for a long time

05 yeah probably so. Then the guberment steps in and f's it all up. Now anything that's newer that has less than 400k miles will have egr, aftertreatment, and has to run ULS diesel. They don't do so good like they did back then. Unless your looking at a old 7.3 PS that the engine still might run ok the rest of the truck is falling apart
The straight international 7.3 IDI was tough but it didn’t like to go over 70 mph. The later 7.3 powerstrokes had a turbo and could push a taller set of gears. They also had electronic fuel injection. Not as bulletproof as the IDI, but it could run over 70, if you wanted to spend the money on fuel.

If you can get away with a 1/2 ton truck, there are trucks out there that require less maintenance and have a way better ride.

Why do you need a diesel? What are you carrying or pulling?

Not to mention when it goes down the parts and more expensive and harder to get. And if it's something out of your wheel house the labor is gonna cost more . I know I'm a diesel mechanic and see it all the time.
Where you work? I’m in Dalton and we need a good diesel mechanic every now and then. PM please

Back
Top Bottom