• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What would a day on a 500 yard range be worth to you

I'm thinking about $30 to $40, assuming that each of the 4 people at the range would cooperate and have plenty of trigger time. I wouldn't want to go with a slowpoke who takes 5 minutes to fire each shot, or a benchrest shooter that brings his portable reloading press and reloads each cartridge case before firing (I mean THE SAME case, for each shot).

The drive time is equally significant as the range fee.
In your case, Griffin puts you within a reasonable driving distance of about 2 million people in ATL and the south suburbs of it. But for me, I'm probably going to stick with RiverBend Gun Club and their open-to-the-public rifle matches out on the big range (600 yards). I think their range fee for such events is $15 or $20.

As others above have said, I'd check out the legalities of this.
Do you need a business license?
Does Spalding County require a permit or license to operate a shooting range?
Will the building inspector have to approve your shooting deck, or your backstop?
Will you have to buy and keep in effect a liability insurance policy?
What about the Environmental Protection Division, as to the lead contamination issue?
Is there a noise ordinance that may apply?
What about "permitted uses" for the zoning designation for the land you're on?
Some tracts of land in certain zones cannot be used for riding dirt bikes and ATV's, raising fowl or livestock, or shooting ranges.
What's the zoning classification of your land?

As others above have said, I'd check out the legalities of this.
Do you need a business license?
Does Spalding County require a permit or license to operate a shooting range?
Will the building inspector have to approve your shooting deck, or your backstop?
Will you have to buy and keep in effect a liability insurance policy?
What about the Environmental Protection Division, as to the lead contamination issue?
Is there a noise ordinance that may apply?
What about "permitted uses" for the zoning designation for the land you're on?
Some tracts of land in certain zones cannot be used for riding dirt bikes and ATV's, raising fowl or livestock, or shooting ranges.
What's the zoning classification of your land?
Great points...especially about the EPA and lead contaminants, etc. You don't need the guberment stepping in to ur biz.

Tort attorney's and the government. Sad but true. The whole reason I can't find a single person local to me nice enough to let me shoot on their private range. Have to wait for an event or wait years for a chance at a membership to a private facility. Can't even find a hunting club within 2 hours. I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat but hey isn't this what they want. Maybe get some folks together that want a place to shoot and lease it to a group and split the insurance under a sort of corporation.

Tort attorney's and the government. Sad but true. The whole reason I can't find a single person local to me nice enough to let me shoot on their private range. Have to wait for an event or wait years for a chance at a membership to a private facility. Can't even find a hunting club within 2 hours. I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat but hey isn't this what they want. Maybe get some folks together that want a place to shoot and lease it to a group and split the insurance under a sort of corporation.
If you can get off a day through the week when it's nice and cool you can meet me at River Bend. It would be a just about the same distance I have to drive. You would take 20 west. It's actually in Dawsonville which shouldn't be a long drive. It's worth drive. first of start off with a little rimfire plinking, then move over to the heavy bore ranges 200,400,600. After that take the handguns over and knock down plates for a while. I really haven't taken advantage of shotgun hill since I don't have a great shotgun which I am working on. There they have skeet, trap and stations in the woods to simulate hunting situations.
The also have a cowboy town built just to hold the national six gun championships. There they also have a club house and grills the members can take advantage of. For 1000 down and 300 a year it was a no brainer for me. It's a good 40 minute drive for me but I stay for hours so It doesn't bother me one bit.
I use to drive up 75 to a range up in a National Forest but me and My sons were shooting there one day and during a cold range a guy picked up his new toy and started blasting when there were people still hanging targets. Freaked me out. I was gone.
River Bend has a very strict code of conduct and you have to take classes to join. I don't mind my children shooting there on bit. Not only are there range officers the members are very intune to what is going on around them. As they should. Very safe place to shoot.

I have taken a lot of OTDers out there. I am always looking for someone safe and will appreciate the facility to take. Going by myself I tend to rush and don't really get good practice. It's better when you can compare targets and get to shoot different guns.

I am a member at River Bend Gun Club and they have a 600 yard range. So 10 dollars worth of gas is what I would pay. I can take two visitors.

Yes, you are allowed two visitors. But if they are GA residents they are allowed to be a guest a maximum of 3 times. Also you are not allowed to shoot while they are on a trigger, you are their RSO in a way.

Back
Top Bottom