• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What y’all hunting with this year

Daniel Defense .308 with digital scope to record my shot/hunting experience.

Attachments

• 20211208_075230.jpg
    20211208_075230.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 17
I do too.. I originally meant to quote another about handgun, but that is my biggest problem with trying to take one with a handgun.

You know what helps? For me anyway. I see then shoot. I don't wait at all. I make a snap decision and go with it. I haven't missed many since I started doing that. I have only killed 1 deer I regret that way but he was 1.5 year old with nubs. Thought he was a doe.

I do too.. I originally meant to quote another about handgun, but that is my biggest problem with trying to take one with a handgun.
What helped me most, when I first started handgun hunting, was to STOP looking at the deer, and simply sight in on a spot on their front shoulder. Took a little while, and alot of practice, but it does work.
I still get buck fever every time I see any old deer. If that goes away, it ain't hunting anymore, it's just killing.

Especially with a handgun.....practice from your stand, climber, blind, whatever you use. Set it up and get some trigger time in! You'll see the difference when it's go time. Learn how you can prop comfortably with whatever setup you use. And find the most accurate load for your particular pistol!
My SBHH 44 is capable (from a sandbag) of moa accuracy with handloads using Hornady 240xtp.
Having faith in your load goes along way towards the confidence in making the shot.
Handgun hunting is definitely more challenging than shooting deer with a rifle, but it is more rewarding as well. (For me anyway) I know the amount of time spent practicing from my climber, a blind, my ladder stand, and I know the frustration of missing a deer too. But when you connect with that sweet spot, and it's bang flop from a handgun.......you'll smile a bigger smile.

I really want to get one with a handgun. I've tried the last several years but haven't gotten one close enough or still enough to be comfortable with the shot.
Keep after it. I've killed a few with handguns but it took several seasons. And I didn't get a chance at one last year. I will say every one I have taken with a pistol was out of a tree stand.

Back
Top Bottom