• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What y’all hunting with this year

Attachments

• 20220629_181729.jpg
    20220629_181729.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 20
I'm the same way. I've taken my Blackhawk with me countless times to no avail.
First, practice. Know what you can do with it. I started carrying a 357. Almost every deer had to be shot a second time. Then I started carrying a 44mag. Aim carefully. If you have to shoot a second time, you'll probably mess up some meat. I'll always use a rifle first, the pistol is a backup. But I've taken plenty deer with a handgun out to 35yds. I and weapon are capable out much farther, but like I said, my handgun is a backup.

First, practice. Know what you can do with it. I started carrying a 357. Almost every deer had to be shot a second time. Then I started carrying a 44mag. Aim carefully. If you have to shoot a second time, you'll probably mess up some meat. I'll always use a rifle first, the pistol is a backup. But I've taken plenty deer with a handgun out to 35yds. I and weapon are capable out much farther, but like I said, my handgun is a backup.
Oh yea I practice a decent bit with it. I've only pulled the trigger (and missed) on 1 deer. It's a .45 colt Blackhawk, I shot from an elevated box stand when I missed. Since then I have only carried it while hunting in a ground blind and I take a shooting stick with me for stability. On targets it's great, maybe this year will be the year for it. Technically I've killed 1 deer with it, I put one down that had been hit by a car with it.

Oh yea I practice a decent bit with it. I've only pulled the trigger (and missed) on 1 deer. It's a .45 colt Blackhawk, I shot from an elevated box stand when I missed. Since then I have only carried it while hunting in a ground blind and I take a shooting stick with me for stability. On targets it's great, maybe this year will be the year for it. Technically I've killed 1 deer with it, I put one down that had been hit by a car with it.
45 is an excellent choice. I've taken deer out to 125yds with a rifle chambered in that. One shot complete pass through, deer just fell over......

G40 with Vortex Venom. I’ve never killed a deer with a handgun, hoping to change that this season.
Me either and I may take mine as well. I put a Trijicon SRO with a 1 MOA dot on it. It's a bunch of fun to shoot which is good because I feel like I need a little more practice before I try to take it out!

IMG_20220731_171642104.jpg

Me either and I may take mine as well. I put a Trijicon SRO with a 1 MOA dot on it. It's a bunch of fun to shoot which is good because I feel like I need a little more practice before I try to take it out!

View attachment 4560207
Nice looking setup!
I’m going to try a stiffer spring in mine and run some 200gr Underwood hard cast lead loads through it. If that doesn’t work out, I have a couple other loads in mind.

I have a few spots that offer some up close shot opportunities, I’ll focus on handgun hunting during early and late season.
Otherwise, I’ll likely take a poke at the random doe that wanders by at close range.

Back
Top Bottom