What's considered a good grouping at 7 yards rapid fire?

tpgh2k

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
10   0
Reaction score
So i went shooting with the girlfriend last friday at the norcross gun range for date night. It gave me an excuse to break in my PPQ 9mm some more since the spring was still stiff. that night, i decided to work on shooting as fast as i could while still maintaining a relative a mount of accuracy. i definitely can't do those fancy double taps or whatnot but i still think this is decent enough. i can probably get off about 2-3 shots per second (closer to 2).

i still feel some of the muzzle rise when i'm shooting. i think it's because my hands are still weak. any help/pointers are greatly appreciated!

photo.jpg

Looks like reasonable combat accuracy to me. Even the couple of flyers are still on target. For fast and accurate follow up shots, make sure you practice trigger reset. And then just practice some more.

The accuracy is OK. But not for the speed your shooting. I'm not trying to say you suck but I want you to know what you should be striving for. A human reaction time is .15 to .25 seconds. So 1/4 of a second at slowest. The accuracy you see there while again overall acceptable for fighting or combat accuracy as Stateline has pointed out is not acceptable in the time you shot it. It would be acceptable at 4-5 shots per second. At 2 per second at 7 yards they should all be in the red. Look at your grip / trigger reset / stance and see the front sight, and focus on the concept of lift off. Good luck and remember that everyone was where you are at some point.

haha no offense taken spavent. that's the whole point of posting this. i want to know what the benchmark is. i feel like my grip is weak, hence the muzzle rise. either that or i'm just not used to shooting yet.

next up i think i'm going to slow down now and go one shot at a time and focus on maintaining good sight picture. it takes me a little time to reacquire a dot sight picture after each shot (no bueno)

thanks again for the help!

Some friend and I where doing a drill on an 8" steel at 7 yards draw and shoot as many as you can in 3 seconds. The fastest shooter hit 10. I hit 6. Which is 1.7 seconds for the draw and 1st shot and about .25 second splits which were both slow because of the size of the target that required a little more site picture.

If you don't see the front sight lift out of the slot it doesn't matter where the shot goes, might as well close your eyes. Those so called double taps you refer to are not that, they are aimed pairs. When I shoot competition I "see" the sight when the first and the second shot goes off and can tell you where the shot went without seeing the target. As far as split times between shots on a good day I can go .17-.19 seconds and still see the sights on every shot. Split times will always vary depending on the difficulty of the shot. The real pros like Jerry Miculek can run down in the low teens or sometimes faster on their split times but again it depends on the target.
What you're doing is simply ballistic masturbation, learn to shoot accurately first then worry about speed.

I used to never believe that people could see the front the whole time as they said. Then one day it just clicked for me. google shannon smith or bill rogers grip. Those are the guys I learned from. If your ever in Ellijay PM me we can shoot a bit.

That's pretty good for just starting out and getting used to a new gun. With a little practice you should be able to nearly double your rate of fire and keep most of them in the red from that distance.

So its OK for you to be slow on a 8" target but unacceptable for him to be slow with a 2" target at 7 yards?
Dude it comes to you, it takes practice. Lots of lead down range, dryfiring, and most of all, have fun.

Back
Top Bottom