What's considered a good grouping at 7 yards rapid fire?

I agree you need strong understanding of the fundamentals before shooting fast. I respectfully disagree with BOZ (if this is what's he's suggesting) that you should spend a ton of time on slow accuracy shooting it that's not your goal. I learned that if you learn slow accurate you have to relearn fast accurate. If you learn fast accurate, slow accurate is easy. Just how I learned surely not the only way.

I agree you need strong understanding of the fundamentals before shooting fast. I respectfully disagree with BOZ (if this is what's he's suggesting) that you should spend a ton of time on slow accuracy shooting it that's not your goal. I learned that if you learn slow accurate you have to relearn fast accurate. If you learn fast accurate, slow accurate is easy. Just how I learned surely not the only way.
Until your fundamentals are firm, you should not attempt rapid fire, period. Would you start learning to ride a motorcycle on a hayabusa Turbo? Perfect your grip, stance, sight picture and sight alignment, and most importantly, triggerpress before commentsing rapid fire. Until then, smooth is fast, fast is smooth. I see guys that throw a target at 15 yards, dump a mag and miss damn near every shot. While I don't believe every range day should be slow target shooting, you shouldn't step up the pace until you've.mastered your fundamentals and your gun.

So its OK for you to be slow on a 8" target but unacceptable for him to be slow with a 2" target at 7 yards?
Dude it comes to you, it takes practice. Lots of lead down range, dryfiring, and most of all, have fun.

Slow meaning the upper end of reaction time 1/4 second not 1/2 second slow. Also just trying to point out that the overall size of a target will affect the speed of the shot. A 16in target with an A, B , C zone will be engaged must faster than a hostage head shot at the same distance, because in one instance you shoot the bad guy but in a less effective spot in the other instance you miss or kill grandma. I'm just trying to help the kid out why you hating on me man...

Slow meaning the upper end of reaction time 1/4 second not 1/2 second slow. Also just trying to point out that the overall size of a target will affect the speed of the shot. A 16in target with an A, B , C zone will be engaged must faster than a hostage head shot at the same distance, because in one instance you shoot the bad guy but in a less effective spot in the other instance you miss or kill grandma. I'm just trying to help the kid out why you hating on me man...

I'm not. At the same time, speed comes with experience. If it takes him.1/2 second to take a shot, only experience will make it faster. Not everybody trains to be competition shooters.

I'm not. At the same time, speed comes with experience. If it takes him.1/2 second to take a shot, only experience will make it faster. Not everybody trains to be competition shooters.

Agreed! Notice I did say "if that's not your goal" and that my way isn't the only way. I also agree that many people dump a lot of ammo and I'm sure we both agree you can't miss fast enough to win anything. Competition or gunfight or target shoot. I would point out I've seen people learn slow and then have trouble pushing themselves to speed because they get comfortable shooting slow. Which is just fine if that's your goal:D

Agreed! Notice I did say "if that's not your goal" and that my way isn't the only way. I also agree that many people dump a lot of ammo and I'm sure we both agree you can't miss fast enough to win anything. Competition or gunfight or target shoot. I would point out I've seen people learn slow and then have trouble pushing themselves to speed because they get comfortable shooting slow. Which is just fine if that's your goal:D

If your trigger press isn't perfect, you will miss those 1/4 second shots. If you haven't gotten experienced.enough with your gun, your sights wont realign on target naturally and you will have to compensate. With experience you perfect your trigger press and also speed up follow up shots. Only accomplished by sending.loads of lead down range. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Competition shooters shoot more a month than most do a year, therefore their gun is practically an extension of them.

If your trigger press isn't perfect, you will miss those 1/4 second shots. If you haven't gotten experienced.enough with your gun, your sights wont realign on target naturally and you will have to compensate. With experience you perfect your trigger press and also speed up follow up shots. Only accomplished by sending.loads of lead down range. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Competition shooters shoot more a month than most do a year, therefore their gun is practically an extension of them.

Slow is just that SLOW

thanks everyone for the great advice! hopefully i can find more ammo over time. until then, i won't be able to shoot that much. but i will definitely keep everyone's words of wisdom in mind.

I'm not too sure that I would DISAGREE w/BOZ...He's a Master-Class USPSA shooter, so he knows a lil' bit about "Running" a gun MUCHO FAST...In addition, one of the BEST "Offhand Group Shooters" I have EVER seen is Dave Sevigny, late of "Team Glock"...and HE can certainly "Hose" with the BEST of 'em...Ya' gots' ta' be able to MAKE THE HITS before you can make the hits FAST...FWIW....mikey357

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom