• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What's everyones fascination with shooting at 1000+yards?

Because I can? Honestly I don't plan on ever using any of my guns to take life, game or otherwise. I just like firearms.

I don't imagine I will ever have a reason to shoot someone at 10 feet much less 1000 yards. I sincerely hope not anyway.
A moment of honest, sensible, void of tactical badassery clarity on the ODT? Maybe the end of the world really is tomorrow! :thumb:

I like the idea of hitting targets at that distance and being able to do it consistently.
There is a challenge to it. You have to take into account many variables.
Im more of a rifle guy then a handgun guy so maybe that plays a part in it as well.

It's fun. It's a challenge. Ringing steel from a long distance is very therapeutic.
Gun Site Hills has an 800yd range $25.00 shoot all day.
I’ve heard of this Gun Site Hills several times now. I’m assuming a google search will turn up what I need to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wait I know......

People watch too many movies. The odds of ever taking a shoot over three hundred yards for anyone is pretty slim and yes I have made 1000 yard shots with iron sights on a machine gun in training but never have I made or attempted a 1000+ yard shot in a real world situation. Why? because it is a waste of ammo. Wait until the target gets closer. And If you are attempting 1000+ yard shots on game/wildlife you are an asshole who is going to wound or injure game.

My rant for today.
for fun. its a goal,thats all. to take something about the diameter of an ink pen, and hit something 10 football fields away, is just cool.
also, range is kinda like boobies. its pretty easy to get the little ones (1 to 300 yards) but the big ones take work,and those are the ones we all want....

meh....500 yards is my max...But I put 10 out of 10 in a B-modified with iron sights....We have some guys at work that thoroughly enjoy spending 3k on a rifle, and 5k on a scope and then seeing how far they can stretch it out...For me, If I drop 8 grand on something, it better have an engine and wheels....

Well it used to be 500. Now it is 1000, 5 years from now it will be one mile. Today's rifles, optics, rangefinding and ballistic data are making it easier and easier. 500 yards today is an absolute chip shot, you don't even need to be good at the fundamentals at that range.

Oh wait I know......

People watch too many movies. The odds of ever taking a shoot over three hundred yards for anyone is pretty slim and yes I have made 1000 yard shots with iron sights on a machine gun in training but never have I made or attempted a 1000+ yard shot in a real world situation. Why? because it is a waste of ammo. Wait until the target gets closer. And If you are attempting 1000+ yard shots on game/wildlife you are an asshole who is going to wound or injure game.

My rant for today.
These are words of the Dali Lama. Do not question or doubt or you will miss all the heavenly glory.

Maybe it's just a hobby and people like to push themselves?

Everything with a firearm doesn't have to have some super tactical reason behind it. Sometimes just having fun is enough.
Its not about shooting game at that distance or ever shooting wildlife for that matter.

I've never hunted, though I'd like to try it now, just never did it since my dad and buddies growing up didn't hunt.

I want to learn the skill of hitting a target at different yardages, just for the fun of doing it. Its not a waste of money to me to shoot paper, its just fun.

I think this whole question is based on a different perspective of thought in how people enjoy their firearms. For example, why do many of us buy war milsurp rifles? Its not for hunting, and to try to hunt with one would be silly. Add to that, I hate to see 'sportirized' milsurps, but a tangent. My point is, people have different reasons for their firearms. I'll never be a sniper or shoot someone, and I may never actually hunt, tho I'd like to go sometime with someone who'd be patient to teach me how.

I want to take on the challenge of target shooting at 1k yards for the fun of doing such precise shooting.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1687.JPG
Because it makes me smile.
300yds is boring,and 600yds is considered mid range.

Back
Top Bottom