• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

whats the secret to shooting this?

my trunk gun is a mossy 500 cut to 19" barrel and I cut the stock down to just a hand grip. It is easier with the angle of the rifle grip but there is some technique to shooting it. Line it up with the direction of your body (to aim quickly) and then hold it as if it had a stock except it will be more centered with your body. Get a good grip on the front and the back and judt hold tight when you fire. I can shoot trap all day with birdshot no pain in my wrist; only discomfort is with many rounds of high velocity buck. If there is still pain switch to low recoil rounds. Don't shoot from the hip, line it up with the direction you body naturally points and aim down the barrel.

The stock on my 870 was too long for my daughter so I threw a pistol grip on it for her, she shot light loads with no complaints, high brass wasn't much fun though. Support it strongly at the foregrip and also keep your wrist inline with the gun as much as possible. I got her set up with a properly sized stock now, I doubt she'll ever use a pistol grip again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brass no 5s and all held it down on their side just like it shows in the movies! and what everyone recommends,

UMM I know no one that recommends what they show in the movies as far as gun play is concerned. IF you intend to hold it DOWN by your side you need to ditch that pistol grip and get something else or cut off a wood stock.

Like this "Pistol grip". Tho I wouldn't call that a pistol grip myself..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/221333/speedfeed-pistol-grip-remington-870-12-gauge-synthetic-black

Instead of this style.. which is what I have.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/55...nd-forend-remington-870-12-gauge-rubber-black

One of them and the normal wood stock can be held down by the side and the wrist is not bent and the arm can swing sort of pendulum style and not hurt the wrist when shooting. The other needs to be held higher on the side such that the forearm is level and the wrist in line and let the arm slide back with the recoil so the wrist does not bend and cause pain. IF you are holding it down by your side with the wrist bent you are going to get pain on recoil almost like trying to hold it up so you can look thru the sights or over the bead, that will result in getting your nose bumped.

the secrete to shooting it is ya gotta rack the round and then put some M-A-N into it. it's really not bad so i'm not sure what you're talkin about other than having girly wrists :)

we were shootin 3" turkey mags with steel shot out of ours one handed just to see. it stung but it was funny. but i guess "standard loads" if you wanna call em that don't really do that much

I put one of these on my Mossberg 500: [h=1]Blackhawk (Knoxx) Generation 2 K07200-C[/h]
Claims to reduce recoil by 85%. It was like I was not even shooting a shotgun. Almost no to very little recoil. I actually shot off @ 25 rounds with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom