• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which caliber would you pick

I'm wanting to purchase a new rifle and have narrowed down the calibers im interested in to the 22-250, the 243, or 6.5 creedmoor. It will be for hunting small to medium sized game at distances of no more tha 300 yards. Which would you choose and what manufacturer. Need price to stay under $800

6.5 Creedmoor

OUT OF THE 3 THE 243 WOULD BE WAY TO GO! EASY TO FIND AMMO , SEVERAL BULLET WEIGHTS AND PRETTY FLAT SHOOTING . VERY VERSATILE FOR COYOTES, DEER, ETC. LIGHT RECOIL AND GOOD CARTRIDE TO REOAD. SAVAGE, BROWNING, WEATHERBY, AND BROWNING ALL MAKE RIFLES IN CALIBER.

.243 - not as hard on the barrel as a 22-250 can be and you can use it for pretty much everything you'll find around GA.

Rifles? Savage or Encore

22-250 is good for varmints and will kill a dear but limits the possibilities down the road. I love the 243. The ammo is available and cheap. It just a good all around caliber. However I have been reading on the 6.5 creedmore and it's a very good option. The round is effective all the way out to 1000 yards. It would make a very good dear round and have the ability to expand in the future. Get a good base rifle and put a hell of a scope on it and you would have the ultimate combination. Now this is coming from a man who absolutely loves the 243.

^^ Ths ^^^

Inside a few hundred yards the 17 is a great varmint round, and even though it's not cheap, it's a lot cheaper than those other calibers you were looking at. Plus it shoots flat as a laser beam and has no kick it all. There's also a lot of very economical guns that can shoot it, and you can even find pistols chambered in it.

Back
Top Bottom