• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who all uses an AR15 for hunting deer?

Mine wears an ARC30 now, so it is quiet enough. It wore a Harvester30 last season; but didn't get a chance to test it out due to schedule conflicts.

i was really talking about racking it and all the clinking and clattering noises they tend to make in a metal stand. I can be more stealthy with a bolt gun.

Who all uses an AR15 for hunting deer? This year I'll be using my 300blk out build. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem before with hunting with an AR. Any jams?
No issues at all. My daughter and I have killed several with an AR. Barnes TSX bullet in the vitals and they usually drop right there or fall within sight. All shoulder and neck shots.

I hunt deer a few times every year with my 6.8. and I've had lots of luck. Two things I have noticed that has taken a little getting used to. One is the magazine (6.8's are all steel). I found that I hit it on my stand from time to time making lots of noise, just not being used to it being there on my bolt gun. I picked one mag to hunt with and painted it with some of that truck liner stuff and that helped dampen the sound some when accidentally hit it. The other is the need for a forward assist. My 6.8 upper doesn't have a forward assist and that did make it difficult to quietly chamber a round once getting into the stand. Other than that, no issues at all hunting with an AR.

ARs have absolutely terrible ergonomics for hunting.
Magazines and grips protruding from the bottom to snag or get in the way, a way tall profile with the sights, especially optics, mounted way high with no drop of the comb at all, in the woods or a shoot house what you're seeing through the sights may not be what's in front of the barrel. (looking at the sights barrel pointed at a limb Etc.)A front sight protruding just waiting to snag something. Round fore ends aren't conducive to propping on or against anything for a steady shot.
Problems hunting with an AR? Yep. Can they kill deer? Yep. Are there much better rifles for the job? Yep.

i have stared down the barrel at several deer while carrying an ar10. Never had one big enough step out to warrant pulling the trigger, but yes, I carry one on occasion to the deer woods.

ARs have absolutely terrible ergonomics for hunting.
Magazines and grips protruding from the bottom to snag or get in the way, a way tall profile with the sights, especially optics, mounted way high with no drop of the comb at all, in the woods or a shoot house what you're seeing through the sights may not be what's in front of the barrel. (looking at the sights barrel pointed at a limb Etc.)A front sight protruding just waiting to snag something. Round fore ends aren't conducive to propping on or against anything for a steady shot.
Problems hunting with an AR? Yep. Can they kill deer? Yep. Are there much better rifles for the job? Yep.

Ive shot a couple of deer with my AR just for the sake of variety, but i pretty much agree will all of the negs mentioned here. Both deer dropped after 30 yards or so

A friend and I both used ar15s in 5.56 last year for deer. Well placed shots, as with any caliber, were always used.

I loaded 75gr hollow points and 69gr ballistic points. Never had an issue with deer or pigs.

I killed 6 and he killed 8.

Back
Top Bottom