• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who has flown with firearm?

I flew out of Hartsfield and it was a piece of cake declaring a firearm. However, it was weird when I landed at my destination- Texas, of all places, where the bag had to go directly to the luggage people and they wanted to zip tie it up, so I could not unpack my firearm there in the baggage claim. I caught the lady in time about to do it, and asked her to first make sure there is a firearm in my bag, in the case. I told her, I will not touch it, but I want to see with my own eyes my weapon was in there. I continued to say, no offense, but I do not trust the baggage handlers, and a firearm is a serious matter if stolen.

Another comment-- I got rejected for a locked case with a pistol in it-- because the TSA found they could pry open the case with hand pressure, and touch (not remove) the gun... this was a factory S&W M&P case. I, in a running panic, had to buy a crappy case from Jet Blue for $75-- which anyone could still breach with a modicum of force or the simplest tool. But that satisfied them, and air travel was rendered safe for yet another day in America.

Though I lost my prescription Oakleys in the process... which cost a lot more than the darned Kahr did.

And the bag showed up on the carousel in Atlanta, against all the rules and warnings. Beat me there too, as I wasn't in a hurry since I was going to have to wait in line at "oversize", for someone's safety. Beware-- their adherence to rules demonstrates the same competence as all the other security measures at the airport.

This was summer 2017, Austin to Atlanta, Delta.

I unload my mags, and put the cartridges in a commercial box, and lock that in the case with the mags and pistol. FWIW. Haven't had anyone complain about THAT yet. A bit annoying reloading mags and chambering a round in an airport bathroom; flush cough and rack works for me though.

If you ever find yourself in a strange city, and need an empty ammo box for this purpose, any range will gladly oblige.

I flew out of Hartsfield and it was a piece of cake declaring a firearm. However, it was weird when I landed at my destination- Texas, of all places, where the bag had to go directly to the luggage people and they wanted to zip tie it up, so I could not unpack my firearm there in the baggage claim. I caught the lady in time about to do it, and asked her to first make sure there is a firearm in my bag, in the case. I told her, I will not touch it, but I want to see with my own eyes my weapon was in there. I continued to say, no offense, but I do not trust the baggage handlers, and a firearm is a serious matter if stolen.

Yeah, I've heard about that-- I keep a cheap knife in an outer pocket of my bag in case this happens. I'll simply cut it off, hand it back, and head for the men's room to load. But I don't suffer foolishness gladly.

I have traveled a number of times with long guns. Ammo cannot be in same case as weapon.

This must be rifle specific (which I have never checked) as every time I've checked my pistol through it's had a fifty round box of ammo in same lockable pelican.

Do not under any case fly into or out of NY City. That bastion of communist control will put you in jail and you'll pay 15k in fees to deal with the charges even though you're legal in every way. Also, large mags will land you in jail, and/or mags loaded but separate from the gun, even in separate compartments within one bag will be seen as a loaded weapon. I would separate ammo, mags and weapon into different bags. Just don't dare fly into or out of NY City.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Normally it will need to be in a locked case.
I also locked the case to the bag. Mark the case with your cell number in case TSA wants to open it, otherwise they will destroy any locks or your case.

Back
Top Bottom