• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who is getting their muzzle loaders out?

Unfortunately, I think I'm stuck using a bow all year. Stupid county bought the property next to ours and built a new school on it. I have to figure out if they have moved the city limits out that far, since I have heard rumors that they have. If they haven't moved the city limits, then I have to figure out how far out the "school zone" extends and look up law on how far from school or school zone I have to be to use a firearm. Morons ruined a lot of prime deer habitat building that school.

Well, my Hawken failed me this morning. Cap fired, but did not ignite the charge. It's the first time this has ever happened to me with any ML and I have put about 35 rounds through this particular one. It fired the second try, but that was when I was leaving the woods. It would have been an easy kill with a bow. Standing broadside at 30 yards to my left front. I'm a right handed shooter.

I guess I'll have to start burning a cap just before I load it from now on. Bummer, lots more cleaning.

Well, my Hawken failed me this morning. Cap fired, but did not ignite the charge. It's the first time this has ever happened to me with any ML and I have put about 35 rounds through this particular one. It fired the second try, but that was when I was leaving the woods. It would have been an easy kill with a bow. Standing broadside at 30 yards to my left front. I'm a right handed shooter.

I guess I'll have to start burning a cap just before I load it from now on. Bummer, lots more cleaning.

I converted all my Hawkins from a cap to a 209 found a guy that used to make a stainless steel floating firing pin. You screw in the base at the threads where the pocket is, put in the 209 primer and screw down the cap that has a free floating firing pin..Much hotter spark, moisture doesn't get in and never had a failure to fire after that. DD

Got there late (my SOP) and pushed one out driving in. Then climbed the stand making all kinds of racket (new stand, ladder still settling apparently) and though "great that takes care of at least the next hour" . :rolleyes: Then as I get to the top look to about 40 yards away and there's a fawn looking right at me walking towards me doing the high step. I freeze. About a minute later, sister and momma follow. Everybody is VERY cautious sniffing the direction I walked in from. Mom dragged them out pretty quick, tails up. That was it. Heard about half dozen shots far off. Only sat until about 11. Got hot pretty quick. For me this was really a test drive for next weekend. I'm ready!

Well, my Hawken failed me this morning. Cap fired, but did not ignite the charge. It's the first time this has ever happened to me with any ML and I have put about 35 rounds through this particular one.
Well that's a drag... :( "That's why they call it hunting and not shooting" and all that stuff I guess? ;)

Back
Top Bottom