• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who is getting their muzzle loaders out?

What was her name? DD

That is just wrong! If the pics ever get in my email I will post them. The darn thing was little, maybe 7 or 8 lbs max.

fox.jpg

Last edited:
That is just wrong! If the pics ever get in my email I will post them. The darn thing was little, maybe 7 or 8 lbs max.

I had to have some humor!! I just got hit with $2,800 buck bill..Found out the reason the septic was backed up was because of the installers 12 yrs ago..Line from the house to the tank settled, leaving it bent in the middle. Causing a blockage, also tank is full of 2 ft thick grease that has hardened..So since it is a two baffle Tank, all has to be dug up, pumped and cleaned..Then the line from the tank to the house has to be redone... One of my best friends may not make it until a liver transplant..So sorry needed a little humor..DD

Had a failure to fire also. Yesterday after seeing nothing, went to discharge it on my way out. Nothing. Tried three more caps. Still nothing.

After taking a small ledge hammer to the ram rod and really compacting it, finally got it to fire...

Firing a cap before loading helps clear out the barrel?

Had a failure to fire also. Yesterday after seeing nothing, went to discharge it on my way out. Nothing. Tried three more caps. Still nothing.

After taking a small ledge hammer to the ram rod and really compacting it, finally got it to fire...

Firing a cap before loading helps clear out the barrel?

Not the barrel, but it makes sure the flash hole is cleared. I think that was the problem with mine. I have always cleaned and used bore butter before loading a new charge. I use a pick to clear the flash hole, but it must have clogged again when loading the charge this time. When you fire a cap it completely clears it and the area around it so it can not clog. The problem is that you MUST clean it rather soon after you fire that cap to stop corrosion. From the time you fire the cap the clock is ticking.

To make it even more complex, my rifle is a traditional Hawken and the only practical way to unload it is to fire it. I will not go for more than 48 hours from the time I fire the cap to the time I clean it, so in all practicality I have to fire the load each time I leave the woods and that makes cleaning it soon even more critical.

On the other hand, if I don't fire the cap I don't need to clean it at all and I have left powder charge and bullet in the barrel for up to two years with no problem. In fact the last time I fired it before the failure was to clear a two year old charge which fired without a problem. I typically clear the old charge and reload just before the season opens, but I did not get to deer hunt last year, so the charge was from the previous year.

Not the barrel, but it makes sure the flash hole is cleared. I think that was the problem with mine. I have always cleaned and used bore butter before loading a new charge. I use a pick to clear the flash hole, but it must have clogged again when loading the charge this time. When you fire a cap it completely clears it and the area around it so it can not clog. The problem is that you MUST clean it rather soon after you fire that cap to stop corrosion. From the time you fire the cap the clock is ticking.

To make it even more complex, my rifle is a traditional Hawken and the only practical way to unload it is to fire it. I will not go for more than 48 hours from the time I fire the cap to the time I clean it, so in all practicality I have to fire the load each time I leave the woods and that makes cleaning it soon even more critical.

On the other hand, if I don't fire the cap I don't need to clean it at all and I have left powder charge and bullet in the barrel for up to two years with no problem. In fact the last time I fired it before the failure was to clear a two year old charge which fired without a problem. I typically clear the old charge and reload just before the season opens, but I did not get to deer hunt last year, so the charge was from the previous year.
Boy doesn't that sum it up. As I was cleaning mine Saturday afternoon, I realized, "I got through all of this, for a one week season, which for me is just opening weekend, which is generally just opening day, which this year was just opening MORNING! I need to just sell this stupid thing!" :grey:

Back
Top Bottom