• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who's ready for turkey season?

Go out right at sundown and hit an owl call to locate birds on the roost. Go back pre-dawn and setup in proximity to roost location and call when they fly off the roost. Less calling is best
An ol' Tom in spring is hands down one of the toughest creatures to harvest....

Federal Heavyweight #7's in a Mossberg 500a with a 28" barrel and an old Colonial Star Dot choke.
My gun shoots an awesome pattern with them out to 45. I've been using this setup for the last 9 years-not changing a thing!
Backup gun is a Benelli Nova with 3.5" Longbeard XR #5's.

I have just switched to the Longbeard XR as of last season with great results. Shoot 3.5" out of my 870 express super magnum. Very happy with the patter I am getting with these and I will be shooting them again this year.

Gobble Gobble.
IMG_2896.JPG

Pasted a big pasture yesterday, and there was 6 boss tom's, strutting around 5 hens, turned around, and stopped went to calling
and heard two favorite sounds, massive gobbling, and drumming, farmer came out and we talked, he was a very pleasant individual,
he told us he had never seen use anyone just use only true mouth without any use of calls.

He asked us to drive down to his house for some southern ice tea. He called to his wife, asked her to come out we were introduced to her, she went in and brought out some cookies, and ice tea. He then asked her to bring out his 2 grand boys. He told us they just loved to hear the toms gobble. Then we were asked to see if we could get them to come close to the house.

So we did, it took about them 30 minutes to come close to his house, those kids were more entertaining than the turkey to hear their laughter was just great. We talked about an hour and a half. He asked if we hunted "YOTES" and we told him we did, so he invited us to come back and we had permission to hunt his land. We told him thank you, and then we asked why, he said wait just a minute. He gained his composure and then then told us about a week earlier 4 YOTES, attacked the grandsons two lab pups he gave the boys, and had killed them both.

We told him it would be a honor to give it a shot. So we are going to hunt there the next few days...

You Never know when opportunity will knock on your door, by just turkeying around. Of course we gave proper ID, so he could see and validate who we were.

Amazing that stopping to call a flock of turkey would be key to getting permission to hunt someone's property, you just never know how someone may react. Still a lot of nice people just depending on how we respond to their questions... will allow hunting
by not really trying on our part...

good to know. anything else for a beginner?
If you are in hill country or the mountains, try to set up either above the turkey or on an even plane with them. If they are above you it is very hard to call them down to you. They feel they have the dominate position and will gobble and strut but won't come down. I have been turkey hunting for 30 years and still feel like a beginner. Also don't give up if you don't hear or kill a bird early in the morning. I have killed many birds between 10:00 and 2:00. Learn their travel routes and feeding routines. I learn something new every time I go. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom