• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who's ready for turkey season?

If you are in hill country or the mountains, try to set up either above the turkey or on an even plane with them. If they are above you it is very hard to call them down to you. They feel they have the dominate position and will gobble and strut but won't come down. I have been turkey hunting for 30 years and still feel like a beginner. Also don't give up if you don't hear or kill a bird early in the morning. I have killed many birds between 10:00 and 2:00. Learn their travel routes and feeding routines. I learn something new every time I go. Good luck

Mid day is one of the best times to be out there. I've killed quite a few at mid day.

I'm ready but our area in Hancock county has really declined in numbers. I really hope with the thinning of the timber and a good hatch or two we can recover. Trying to eliminate egg eaters too.

Despite knowing that this is true, I'm still out there an hour before daylight calling to henned-up gobblers.

We are too, however the fact is there are more turkeys killed from 10AM till 4PM, however we love the mornings, watching the sunrise slowly come up, a gentle fog lifting and watching the different animals scurry around, and the reverse in the evening, if you are gonna hunt, hunt all day long...

Back
Top Bottom