• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who's the greatest, unknown guitar player?

I would not really consider Rory unknown, just not very famous. Love his music.

There are very good players in all styles in almost every corner of the world. There is a local Marietta guy named Barry Richman (sp?) that is pretty freakin' good. I've seen a few local guitarists that were fantastic. Especially in country. I know a couple different bluegrass/country guys that are absolutely phenomenal. Both are in their 70's. One of them played for Merle Haggard for years. He will wrap his hands around the neck and send anybody I know back to the woodshed. He has the touch that can only come from a lifetime of playing.

Derek trucks, nephew of allman bros drummer butch trucks, grew up watching Duane allman an other like players, check out Derek trucks an warren Haynes on youtube! Arguably one of the greatest guitar/slide guitar players for blues rock alternative ever born (my opinion) oh yea joe bonamassa is a great unappreciated guitarist too

Gotta love Derek Trucks' playing. Not an unknown, though.

Someone mentioned Prince? He is far from unknown and so is his playing. I think anybody who knows about Prince also knows he is a great guitarist, and musician in general.

Most of the guys I have seen mentioned here are not unknown.

Last edited:
Actually..me.
But I'm too bashful to play in front of a crowd.

I got kicked out of two bands for being too good for the rest of the band back in highschool so I decided Ill just play for friends and family.

I've got a Dickie Betts kind of style mixed with Jerry Reed when I'm playing stuff I made up on my own but I also like thrashing heavy metal.

I really don't like bragging on myself either so ill shut up now.

Last edited:
I've just got a few comments. Derek Trucks is hardly unknown and can be great when his head is on right. However, I don't think he grew up "watching" Duane Allman. Duane died about 20 years before Derek was born. BTW, Duane was the best, period.

Even though I don't care for his more well known music, Prince is a very talented musician. He can play about any instrument, as can Derek Trucks, which most people don't know.

The best mostly unknown guitarist I know is Jack Pearson, out of Nashville. Some of you Allman Brothers fans will know him. Another under rated guitarist was Toy Caldwell of Marshall Tucker fame.

This isn't the place to talk about David Gilmore, Malsteem, or even Buckethead. This is for the truly great ones that hardly ever get mentioned.

Danny Gatton, killed himself in 1993(I think), was an awesome talent and never really got well known beyond the guitar groupies. He was a great blues, rock and jazz player but he had to be the best rockabilly guitarist ever.

[video=youtube_share;7PCE1-zTssU]
alleycat alleycat

Back
Top Bottom