• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is 6.5 Creedmoor so popular?

At some point, I'm going to build a 22-250 or 22 cm bolt gun. But fast twist and run high BC heavies.

The gun world has come a long way in the past 15 years. Especially in case and cartridge design. Many of the cartridges just aren't particularly efficient. That's what has spurred the development and popularity of the creedmoor, prc and other families of cartridges. Is case efficiency and running proper bullet designs. Look st the 300 wm. Is does ok. Choosing a 30 cal pill at respectable numbers. But tweak the design of the case. Offer more capacity with the ability to run higher grain, higher bc bullets, at longer load lengths, and you get a much more effective round in the same action with the 300 prc or 300 norma mag.

You should read P. O. Ackleys books.

For me, it's in close proximity to the 6.5x55 and it's much more popular and available. Is it that much better than the Swede? Probably not, but the 6.5 Creedmoor had much better marketing. :lol: Also, it helps that Hornady pushed it out rather than a specific rifle maker or some antiquated European military.

You should read P. O. Ackleys books.
You can bust out the shoulder on anything. Doesn't change the case design as far as seating depth. Also, you run into feeding issues, especially in gassers.

I'd up you into reading modern data driven ballistics reports such as Applied Ballistics. Bryan Litz is constantly diving into all areas of ballistics and reloading providing new information and busting myths.

A waste of money for 99% of shooters. 99% of shooters already have a rifle that will do 99% of what they need 99% of the time. 99% don't reload and 99% don't shoot past 1-200 yards so... That said, it is a very impressive round that should fill the needs of most everyone who shoots it.
99% correct!!

I'd probably get one if I had easy/close access to a 1000yd range. But for now I'll stick with my "old" .308 & 30-06 fudd guns. I just can't justify having something I can't fully utilize.

I've got 4 Ackley Improved's...3 .243's and a .280....1 .243 is actually my sons, so that one really doesn't count...another is a benchrest gun, and 1 is a varmint gun.....I'm not so into the ballistics of what goes on when Ackley preforms his magic, however they all shoot great...probably because the benchrest is a Kelbly, my son's is a Williams Precision, and the other .243 & the .280 were both built for my dad by Doyle Anglin....when Doyle worked at Williams Precision, he built my son's gun as well....Doyle does GREAT work!!!

Back
Top Bottom