• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why so many different cartridges?

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask this question for some time and I always forget. I'm curious to know why there are so many different cartridges in the firearms world. Without going back in history just looking at some recent (to me) offerings I wonder why there are so many. For instance you have .300BO and .300 Whisper. Then you got 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel which I'm guess by the naming convention they arent the same. And where does 6.8SPC factor into the mix? And dont get me started on all the hunting rifle calibers like .243 or .270? I lose track of them all. It seems as though many cartridges might share bullet diameter but different case specs. Whats the point behind it all?

Btw it seems that its only like this in the rifle world. Most handguns are seem to have phased out the oddball offerings like 9x18

I've been meaning to ask this question for some time and I always forget. I'm curious to know why there are so many different cartridges in the firearms world. Without going back in history just looking at some recent (to me) offerings I wonder why there are so many. For instance you have .300BO and .300 Whisper. Then you got 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel which I'm guess by the naming convention they arent the same. And where does 6.8SPC factor into the mix? And dont get me started on all the hunting rifle calibers like .243 or .270? I lose track of them all. It seems as though many cartridges might share bullet diameter but different case specs. Whats the point behind it all?

Btw it seems that its only like this in the rifle world. Most handguns are seem to have phased out the oddball offerings like 9x18
I do not know of any calibers that are the same, most inherit more power , flatter shooting , or can handle heavier loads for larger game. Also manufactures can sell a lot more guns when you have a lot of choices. The old 30-06 will do everything in the lower US from varmit to bear

Because you don't shoot rabbits with 45-70, bullets made for long range competitions don't make for good hunting rounds, and 22 ain't going a 1000 yards for squat.

Every round is meant for a certain use whether that's short range hunting of heavy prey, small prey, long distance accuracy, or middle of the road distance and damage. There has never been, nor ever will be a rifle round that can do everything. It's a matter of physics.

Looking at pictures of various rounds will often tell you what the round is intended for - long and sleek means speed and distance - stockier rounds mean less distance, but hit harder within their range.

As far as comparing to handguns, nearly any handgun is intended for the same basic use - hitting humans at contact range out to 50 or so yards. Not as much variety needed.

Some of it has to do with getting your name on a cartridge. Take for instance Sig and Glock. They have a cartridge with their name on it, which means they have arrived, are somebody, and are recognized by ammunition manufactures and others.

It's a marketing ply like phone charger shapes! Lol
^^^Mostly what he said^^^ Marketing. In all honesty, IMO, there haven't been any reeeaallly necessary cartridges developed in, oh, give or take, the last fifty years or so. I mean, if you've got .22LR, 12GA and the NATO stuff covered, like 9mm, 5.56/.223, 7.62/.308, then throw in your own choices from selections like 30-30, 30-06, 45-70, .45ACP, .270, .243, etc, then what else does 99.9% of the shooting population really need?

I do not know of any calibers that are the same, most inherit more power , flatter shooting , or can handle heavier loads for larger game. Also manufactures can sell a lot more guns when you have a lot of choices. The old 30-06 will do everything in the lower US from varmit to bear

I wasn't trying to say that they are all the same, it just seem like some minor differences so I wonder if its worth developing another cartridge for. Like do we need a cartridge that will do 2200 fps with 100lb of energy (hypothetically) and one that does 2100fps with 110lb of energy because it seems like some cartridges are splitting hairs.

Because you don't shoot rabbits with 45-70, bullets made for long range competitions don't make for good hunting rounds, and 22 ain't going a 1000 yards for squat.

Every round is meant for a certain use whether that's short range hunting of heavy prey, small prey, long distance accuracy, or middle of the road distance and damage. There has never been, nor ever will be a rifle round that can do everything. It's a matter of physics.

Looking at pictures of various rounds will often tell you what the round is intended for - long and sleek means speed and distance - stockier rounds mean less distance, but hit harder within their range.

As far as comparing to handguns, nearly any handgun is intended for the same basic use - hitting humans at contact range out to 50 or so yards. Not as much variety needed.

Didnt think about that with the handguns. Good point.

Back
Top Bottom