• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wild Edibles of West Georgia East Alabama, Anyone know

Baele

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
a good website or book. Something with lots of pictures. Its something I want to learn more of but am having a hard time finding good information.

Anyone have anything they want to share about wild edibles in this area?

Wow, nothing here guys? No berries, veggies, or even jokes? I could tell ya some from S. Texas but that's a whole nother planet basically.

-Prickly Pear cactus (I've seen it here in GA). Skin it and you can fry it in strips. Mexicans call this nopalitos. Also the pear (red bulbus fruit) makes a great salsa or jam or can be eaten raw (make double sure you get all the little spine off it first).

you got opossum on a stick, goodyear flavored armadillo, RNC's special blend of Hickory smoked, Sweet and Spicy, Original, Honey Glazed, Fried, and the christmas special Gingerbread coated dillernads.

you got opossum on a stick, goodyear flavored armadillo, RNC's special blend of Hickory smoked, Sweet and Spicy, Original, Honey Glazed, Fried, and the christmas special Gingerbread coated dillernads.

Christmas gingerbread dillernads are really a seasonal item. I think he is looking for something like chipmonk chitlins which can be found year-round. :)

Better yet are things to stay away from:

-Mushrooms, unless you know EXACTLY what to look for
-Any plant that has a milky sap
-Clustered berries, especially ones that are white or red
-If in doubt put a small amount of plant/root on your tongue, spit out. If it tastes like almonds don't eat, if it starts to burn your mouth, numb or tingle stay away from it.

In the wild I stick to a few things:

-Mushrooms, because I know what to look for
-Berries, blue or black
-Dandelions
-Cattails, whole plant with root being best
-Pine tree, needles and inner bark
-inner bark of other trees, cook over fire for best taste
-nuts, acorns, pecans, walnuts, hickory, etc. If the acorns taste rough, boil them in water then strain and add fresh water, boil again and eat.
-fish, can't discount this option and you don't need a fishing rod either. Drive fish to a catch point and round up. cook if you need/want to.
-snakes, frogs, lizards, etc, cook if you need/want to.
-snares, use fatal funnels. Beaver dams are perfect, animals cross these every day and can only go forward or back, no side to side movement. Also use trails.
-and the one nobody wants to hear about.......insects. Grubs, grasshoppers, etc. Great source of protein and are the easiest to catch. Cook or add to other foods to disguise taste if it makes you feel better.
-fruits, persimmon, apples, pears

We're in the south, plenty round here, and you can look these up on the internet to see what they look like. Most people make food sources much harder than what they are. It is hard when we don't eat these things all the time.

Back
Top Bottom