• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Working overtime

So to the salaried guys working 60+ hours a week, why do you keep at it?
Are you compensated that well or have personal investments in the company?

For what I do (Automotive Production Manager), they simply won't pay us hourly. I worked for a company 5 years ago that started you off as a contractor and paid hourly. They you were paid salary plus OT (over 40 hours is time and a half). Then you moved to another tier and anything over 50 hours was straight time. Then they did away with that and anything over 50 was comp time.

No I work 50 plus hours with an 1.5 hour commute one-way. If we are running a lot of cells on Saturday I am required to come in for a few hours.

I'm compensated ok, but have had better.

There is no way I would work for free as a lot of you guys claim, regardless of how well you are compensated. I am a blue collared hourly worker, and I'd take my compensation over any salary job in the area.

My wife works 50-60 hours at her regular job, (accounting )sometimes more if a quarterly report has to get done. She will work 80-90 hrs for a week or so to prepare the end of the fiscal year reports.
Her salary and bonuses (no OT) reflects it, and she gets 5 weeks vacation.

She also has two part time accounting jobs that she does at home on the weekends. And one job where she gets paid to play the piano about 12 hours a week.

My wife works 50-60 hours at her regular job, (accounting )sometimes more if a quarterly report has to get done. She will work 80-90 hrs for a week or so to prepare the end of the fiscal year reports.
Her salary and bonuses (no OT) reflects it, and she gets 5 weeks vacation.

She also has two part time accounting jobs that she does at home on the weekends. And one job where she gets paid to play the piano about 12 hours a week.

You must be happily married, because you never see each other.

You must be happily married, because you never see each other.

Yup
26 years now
I was a independent trucker when we met, so we started off not seeing a lot of each other.
I have worked a normal job for about the last 20 years.

Met her on a blind date after I placed an ad in the personals of the AJC In 1994

She was brilliant , just out of school with a masters degree in mathematics , a bachelors degree in education and concert piano.
She turned down a scholarship at Auburn to take a scholarship at a small private college in a neighboring state .
She was Cute , had similar socio economic, religious, moral and political views.
Had already been recruited by the USAF as a civilian instructor.

No debt , no drama , and no crazy.

from a good normal family, and drove a car with a manual transmission.

Still does, she currently drives a 21 yr old 5 speed car with 240k on it , doesn’t want another car, so I keep patching this one up, had it painted , seats recovered , new clutch , brakes , struts , etc . Spent way more than its worth to keep it on the road a few more years .

Oh and she hand knits beautiful sweaters as a hobby .

I Wasn’t gonna let that get away.

I was at the Shane Company looking at rings about two months after we met.

She bought me a 74 Bronco , which I still have , for our first anniversary.

She doesn’t complain about all the old cars I drag home and scatter about in the yard, and has never asked how many guns I have.

In fact when we were at Alexander’s a few years ago, while she was looking at clothes I was ,
of course looking at the guns, she asked if there was one I wanted , “yep, this one “
She pulled out her wallet and bought it.
I married up, way up.

Wife is a CPA, Haven't seen her in 2 weeks. All y'all quit your *****ing. Wont for another month and a week

Yup

The paychecks keep showing up .
Last year She made more than double what I did , and my salary is right at the median for Atlanta . 50% of people make less than me and 50% make more .

Back
Top Bottom