• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Would it be legal to shoot this guy in this situation?

Are you in fear for your life or fear of your lip being busted? That is the question.

It does not matter. Fear alone does not justify the use of deadly force. You have to have reasonable cause to believe the person has the ability, opportunity and intent (jeopardy) to cause you or a third person serious harm. Fear is never a justification, in or out of court.

If this guy had shot him, he would do hard time. They are to close to equally matched.

CCW was saying fearing for your life and fearing a beat down are two different things. "...reasonable cause to believe the person has the ability, opportunity and intent (jeopardy) to cause you or a third person serious harm" would fall under the fear for your life category.

you might want to reevaluate if you have the temperment to be carrying. seems like you might be awful quick.

+1000000000 seriously - i can't believe I'm even reading this question. You do need to seriously re-evaluate whether you have the temperment to CCW.

Now - would l throw that bi+ch in a sleeper and have her snoring in 3-5 seconds?.....you bet your sweet ass. But I wouldn't have even put a hand on my weapon, much less contemplate firing!

you might want to reevaluate if you have the temperment to be carrying. seems like you might be awful quick.

I totally agree... If you are already practicing C.C., then you should not even be asking this question....you need to ask this question and not yet carrying then do a LOT of research (and a little growing up), BEFORE you decide to carry. Someone who does not deserve it could end up DEAD, and you would spend the rest of your life making sure you did not drop any soap in the showers...

OK... to everybody else here.. sorry for the rant...I am done now...

Outdoorsman.

CCW was saying fearing for your life and fearing a beat down are two different things. "...reasonable cause to believe the person has the ability, opportunity and intent (jeopardy) to cause you or a third person serious harm" would fall under the fear for your life category.

I understand that. Even if he was in fear of his life it would not matter. The courts would not consider the difference in the individuals enough to justify deadly force in this circumstance. That is the point I was making. Fear can not be part of the decision making process when determining whether deadly force can be used. No one will care how scared you were. Fear alone does not create "reasonable cause to believe".

Last edited:
If I was the dude in the booth behind them, I would probably have stood up and told all three of the women to STFU. Starting that kind of crap in public is a sure way to piss me off...

More than likely they were all guilty of public drunkeness. But to answer the OP's question: Are you kidding me? Shooting someone in that particular situation is a quick route to the gray-bar hotel for use of excessive force. The correct move would have been to whoop his azz right there...or better yet, take it out side and handle your business.

Back
Top Bottom