• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Would This Make a Good Spotting Scope? Halo Rangefinder?

Thanks for the info. Maybe the Fieldscope will work well. I thought I heard somewhere a larger lens (with more light) helped make out the bullet holes better or something to that extent.

Yeah, the Halo was originally over $200 in the store I bought it from, but they had the last one on clearance for like $35.

I may go to the park, set a sheet a paper out somewhere and see how things look with the Fieldscope.
I can't imagine a rangefinder with 8x magnification could see bullet holes at 1000 yds. Curious if the Halo is only good for seeing deer.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I can't imagine a rangefinder with 8x magnification could see bullet holes at 1000 yds. Curious if the Halo is only good for seeing deer.

No, a rangefinder wouldnt be any good for that.
I was talking about the Fieldscope for seeing the actual bullet holes on the target. You can use the rangefinder for any kind of target if you can hold it well enough for it to measure the distance.
I was a little surprised to hear from the other member some of them can be so inaccurate less than half of their advertised max range. I wouldn't expect them to be as accurate as the expensive ones, but I thought they would be close.

Thanks for the info. Maybe the Fieldscope will work well. I thought I heard somewhere a larger lens (with more light) helped make out the bullet holes better or something to that extent.

Yeah, the Halo was originally over $200 in the store I bought it from, but they had the last one on clearance for like $35.

I may go to the park, set a sheet a paper out somewhere and see how things look with the Fieldscope.

Body/tube diameter effect light transmission more than objective lens. Either way, Nikon is great glass and you have a nice spotter. Dusk, dawn, and fog would be perfect situation to test its clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, a rangefinder wouldnt be any good for that.
I was talking about the Fieldscope for seeing the actual bullet holes on the target. You can use the rangefinder for any kind of target if you can hold it well enough for it to measure the distance.
I was a little surprised to hear from the other member some of them can be so inaccurate less than half of their advertised max range. I wouldn't expect them to be as accurate as the expensive ones, but I thought they would be close.
Sometimes, in my newness to shooting and ignorance, I use the wrong terminology. And I don't want to steal the thread, so apologies OP.

I'm primary looking for suggestions to shoot paper on long distance ranges, but I will start out at 100-200 for learning, then spread out farther from there. I want 1 good optic, whatever the name is for it, that benchrest shooters use. I think I'll start a thread on just that topic. Guys, thanks for the help, and again sorry OP for my tangent on your thread.

Sometimes, in my newness to shooting and ignorance, I use the wrong terminology. And I don't want to steal the thread, so apologies OP.

I'm primary looking for suggestions to shoot paper on long distance ranges, but I will start out at 100-200 for learning, then spread out farther from there. I want 1 good optic, whatever the name is for it, that benchrest shooters use. I think I'll start a thread on just that topic. Guys, thanks for the help, and again sorry OP for my tangent on your thread.

No problem. A lead sled will hold to he rifle and take the recoil for you, but if you just want something to rest the barrel on you would use sandbags or a bipod.
Sounds like we're in similar situations so no worries. Start talking about pets or politics then I'm considering the thread hijacked.

No experience with the field scope, but it might be handy for hunting with lots of hiking. As far as the rangefinders... I've used Halo, Nikon, Leupold, and found little difference. Possibly Leupold was a bit better in low light. Of those 1000-yard rangefinders, None of them would give me reliable distance past about 325 yards when elk hunting in colorado. Others I was with had similar experience. The last elk I harvested was 477 yard shot, and I wouldn't have taken it if I hadn't been loaned a Leica 1600 that performed flawlessly. Buy once, Cry once.

My Leica 1600B is solid.

The price has come down considerably since they introduced a new model.

Vortex offers a very good all around spotter.

https://www.ebay.com/p/VORTEX-Diamo...4e08d|iid:3&trdt=0&rdtsrc=vi&iid=122704084274
This one was a lot more 2 years ago.

Those look like nice suggestions. I may give those another look once I start shooting (no telling when that will be). A lot going on right now, so I'm trying to gradually get the right equipment together so I'll have a decent setup once I start shooting.

Those look like nice suggestions. I may give those another look once I start shooting (no telling when that will be). A lot going on right now, so I'm trying to gradually get the right equipment together so I'll have a decent setup once I start shooting.
Yeah, me too. I'm slowly getting set up too. But doing many other things, firearm related too, so it takes a while. Learning all this is great, and the advice is so helpful. Thanks all here!!

No problem. A lead sled will hold to he rifle and take the recoil for you, but if you just want something to rest the barrel on you would use sandbags or a bipod.
Sounds like we're in similar situations so no worries. Start talking about pets or politics then I'm considering the thread hijacked.

Great man, I hear ya. Yup, similar situations. A lead sled is another item on the buy list. We're definitely learning together here!!

Back
Top Bottom