• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your thoughts on traveling with firearm

cpw006

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score
My grandmother passed away and we are going to be traveling to Maryland through Washington DC, South Carolina and Virginia, who do not honor Georgia permits. I will be staying at my grandmothers house in Maryland and in reading the states laws, they all allow the transport of firearms through their state when traveling from one state where I am legal to posses to another state where it is legal for me to posses. My question is(not requesting legal advice) would you guys take your firearm with you and just leave it unloaded with ammo and firearm stored and locked in two separate areas of the vehicle? Or should I not take my firearm at all. I am not talking about carrying it on my person loaded in these states, only having it in my vehicle.

The other problem is, she will be buried Arlington National Cemetery and I would have no place to store my weapon. I am sure it would not be a good idea to have it even locked in vehicle in Arlington. She is not going to be buried in Arlington for 4 weeks as they are backed up, so that question is for the next trip for the actual burial.

I just do not like the idea of being so far from home without a form of protection. When I fly for work I just deal with it, but this time we are driving. Thanks for any insight on this topic.

My pistol is in my car when I travel. You never know where you will end up. I have had me wife almost plead for me to leave a pistol at home when we were going on a cruise. I brought it, and the hotel we had booked through the cruise was in the hood. My pistol laid on the night stand just like it did at home and she said she was glad that I brought it. It stayed locked in my glove box in the cruise warehouse while we were gone.

It is actually sad that we have to even choose what to do in a situation like this in this country. My family's safety means more to me than anything. I would take mine.

I agree. It is a very sad situation. I had to go without my gun on a fairly recent trip to South Carolina. I'm really glad I did not have it in the car when the Marines at Paris Island inspected my vehicle with one of those 'fine tooth combs". I guess this is the time for a really cheap gun left back at the hotel in hopes it does not get stolen.

Transporting through a state is always legal under federal law, as long as it's unloaded and locked (ammo separated) in an 'inaccessible' part of the vehicle (trunk, or 'out of reach' in a SUV or van).

That preempts state laws in theory, although states like NY and NJ have been known to try anyway.

That being said, I would definitely double-bag it in a separate, non-firearms looking suitcase, since you don't want to go down the 'what's in that Glock case?' road with a trooper in any state.

The iffy part of your question is that this only counts if you traveling through the state. The federal law is written so that you have to be legal in your starting state, and your destination state, and you aren't stopping for 'extended periods'.

Generally this means that gas and food stops are OK, but overnight in a hotel is questionable.

Since MD requires handgun registration, you are definitely not going to be legal there once you stop. Unlike most states, the mere possession of it while you are not 'travelling through' is a crime (probably a felony, but that's just a guess).

If I was in your shoes, I'd find a place just over the PA or VA state line and get a hotel there instead. Leave the gun there (hotel safe or safe/lock box in the car) while you venture into MD. MD is a small state, and it's probably not a huge addition in the miles you're driving already.

A good place to check these is the NRA-ILA site (http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws.aspx). It's not always current, but is a good place to start.

Transporting through a state is always legal under federal law, as long as it's unloaded and locked (ammo separated) in an 'inaccessible' part of the vehicle (trunk, or 'out of reach' in a SUV or van).

That preempts state laws in theory, although states like NY and NJ have been known to try anyway.

That being said, I would definitely double-bag it in a separate, non-firearms looking suitcase, since you don't want to go down the 'what's in that Glock case?' road with a trooper in any state.

The iffy part of your question is that this only counts if you traveling through the state. The federal law is written so that you have to be legal in your starting state, and your destination state, and you aren't stopping for 'extended periods'.

Generally this means that gas and food stops are OK, but overnight in a hotel is questionable.

Since MD requires handgun registration, you are definitely not going to be legal there once you stop. Unlike most states, the mere possession of it while you are not 'travelling through' is a crime (probably a felony, but that's just a guess).

If I was in your shoes, I'd find a place just over the PA or VA state line and get a hotel there instead. Leave the gun there (hotel safe or safe/lock box in the car) while you venture into MD. MD is a small state, and it's probably not a huge addition in the miles you're driving already.

A good place to check these is the NRA-ILA site (http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws.aspx). It's not always current, but is a good place to start.

Your points are exactly why I asked the question, the only problem is we are staying in Maryland at my Grandmothers house. I may just pack my machete....lol. I just do not want to get into any trouble that is going to risk my 2nd amendment rights.........

I visit family in Md annually. Virgina is an Open-carry state. No permit required for Open Carry. I don't know what part of Maryland you are headed to, but the capitol beltway does not enter DC. I lock my pistol in a case with the ammo in a separate case once I enter Maryland. Maryland law says you can transport a firearm in that manner if you are headed to a gun show, gun dealer, home, gun smith or a range. My brothers live on a farm, so my excuse is that I am shooting with my brothers while I visit.

I was not aware that Maryland required gun registration. I just thought they were a may issue state that doesn't issue very many permits and didn't reciprocate with anyone. I just stay out of DC while I am there.

An unloaded unavailable pistol does you no good. If you feel like being law safe keep it in the glove box with a loaded mag right next to it. I take my gun loaded to the gills with 2 extra mags everywhere I go.

Back
Top Bottom