• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Youth gun

sniper22

Eagle Icon Lifetime Supporter
Aspiring Christian
203   0
Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm looking for a dear gun for my 6 year old 62 pound 50" tall daughter. She's wanted to hunt for 3 years now so it's time to find something she can shoot. Give me some ideas but give me reasons as well.

A light weight 16" barrel AR with a light weight adjustable stock can be used with a proper/legal magazine. If she does her part the rifle will do its part with proper .223 hunting ammo.

The semi-auto will kick a bit less than a bolt/single gun and the .223 round is about as light/reduced recoil as you can use for legal deer hunting in Georgia. The stock can be shortend and as she grows can be adjusted as needed.

Last edited:
A light weight 16" barrel AR with a light weight adjustable stock can be used with a proper/legal magazine. If she does her part the rifle will do its part with proper .223 hunting ammo.

The semi-auto will kick a bit less than a bolt/single gun and the .223 round is about as light/reduced recoil as you can use for legal deer hunting in Georgia. The stock can be shortend and as she grows can be adjusted as needed.

What's defines a legal mag?

I was thinking about a .222 or maybe a .220 swift?
Are .22 mags legal? I know I can look this up but figgure someone might already know the answer.

I thought Georgia had a 5 round restriction for deer hunting, I'm not sure as it's been years since I hunted deer. .22 Magnum is not legal to hunt deer as it has to be a "center fire" round not a "rim fire" round.

You can use both .222 or .220 swift. However have you ever watched someone drop the pin on a .220 Swift. Let's just say it's not what I would recommend for a 6 year old. The .222 Remington is a puzzy cat (less recoil than a .223) if you can find one and then trying to find factory ammo will be a bit of a chore. The .223 hunting ammo you can get at Wal-Mart.

Someone who hunts deer and knows the current law as it applies to deer hunting will come along and school us.

Last edited:
There are no magazine restriction for deer hunting in GA, there are restrictions for waterfowl.

I agree that a nice light weight AR15 with some 223 hunting ammo would be a good choice. In GA you cannot use FMJ for hunting but Soft Points and Hollow Points will both work well.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom