• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ZMAX BCG treatment

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Since @brad sweet had described to me about treating an AR BCG with ZMAX automotive engine treatment, I have been wanting to try it.

My most recent build was an 11.5” pistol with an SOLGW BCG. Still has a low round count, so I decided to use it. I disassembled the BCG and cleaned it thoroughly. I removed the extractor spring and rubber extractor insert. I also set aside the firing pin retaining pin and the extractor pin, since I was only planning on treating the carrier, bolt, extractor, cam pin, and firing pin. I took those parts and degreased them.

Heated the parts in the oven at 250 degrees for 15 minutes.

Removed the parts and completely submerged them in the ZMAX for 15 minutes.

Took the parts out of the ZMAX, wiped them down, and blew them out.

I repeated this procedure two more times, for a total of 3 cycles.

The finished parts feel smoother to the touch. The assembled BCG seems to cycle smoother, as well, but maybe that’s me. I noticed that when I wiped the carrier down before during the first cycle, the rough finish pulled lint from the shop towel, which I blew off with my compressor. After finishing all three cycles, I wiped the carrier down for the last time, and this time no lint stuck to the finish. Curiouser and curiouser.

Only time will tell if it makes a difference.

I included before and after pics, but to my eye they look the same.

E21841E4-98C0-4FDE-96D2-3F9D2B67DE11.jpeg
B75D83FC-DED3-43C9-AB94-A78825699705.jpeg

Is this a permanent thing or will you have to re-do it every so often? Also what's its benefits of doing this?

All serious questions I know you think I am an AK only guy....

I did something similar but used a different product.

I got Miltech 1

used a hair dryer and heated up a brand new Glock Barrel then proceeded to rub the Miltech 1 on the barrel. It immediately soaked the oil into the barrel. I did it 3 times total.

I didn’t show a barrel smile until well after 400 rounds... I I ended up buying a 16oz bottle and proceeded to heat all metal parts on anything firearms related and soaked them...

this stuff is actually really good so I’m not sure what the ZMax viscosity compares in soaking into the metal.

I do know that the barrel perspires a little to the touch and seems much slicker weeks and evening months after treating...

http://www.militec-1.com/

Back
Top Bottom