• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

'03 6.0 F250 smoking...

White smoke or black smoke?

Have you checked all of the piping and clamps between the turbo and the intake? You could be losing boost somewhere. That would cause a lack of power and black smoke.

Black smoke while accelerating and/or foot on pedal. Grey/white smoke while idling. Power is back now that the oil isn't dripping on the sensor causing it to show low voltage...

I missed your response about grey/white smoke at idle. I'd definitely take it to someone who knows what they're doing with these engines. It's at least worth having someone diagnose the issue properly.

Could be many things. White gray smoke is bad of course. The others could be cracked injector tip/ stuck injector or million other things. The bad sensors could of cause other issues by changing operating procedures. Also the longer you drive around on a problem, the more chance you give it to worsen.

I would suspect injectors just based on the information provided

I missed your response about grey/white smoke at idle. I'd definitely take it to someone who knows what they're doing with these engines. It's at least worth having someone diagnose the issue properly.

Well, in good news, it's mostly black now at idle too. Started today w/ the tick... The issue at hand, mostly, is I can not find anyone locally that works on them. And, I don't have any other transportation to park it and miss work.

Black smoke = unburnt fuel.
Gray smoke = burnt oil
White smoke = coolant or unignitied fuel. (Coolant will smell like coolant, unignitied diesel will make your eyes tear up)

Sounds like it's injector related to me. I'm wondering if you've got a cracked nozzle allowing too much fuel in the cyl. Certainly could cause the black at idle. Preignition from broken nozzles can cause a tick too. Is the tick camshaft speed (half) or crank/RPM speed?

Raw fuel dumping into the cyl isn't good either. Even if it's black now at idle. You'll wetstack the motor or at worse, have a catastrophic nozzle failure under a load and hydrolock that cyl.

You can check you oil level and notice the smell when you do. If its is indeed the injectors leaking, it will increase the oil level as it gets past the rings.

Also how are the boost levels and the egts?

Back
Top Bottom