• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1978 Cherokee Chief new toy/project.

grandall1972

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
249   0
Reaction score
Just picked this up from a friend at work. Trying to figure out where I want to go with it. Thinking of giving it a freshen up and some slight paint work but keeping it mostly stock.

Anyone know if you can repair rust in the fender flares? That's about the only place there is rust. Anyone do body and paint work for gun trades?

- 1978 Jeep Cherokee Chief wide track
- 360 ci v8
- quadra trac 4x4
- 1 owner jeep

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm a huge full sized Jeep fan.
Start by getting rid of the Quadra Junk and going with manual locking hubs and the transfer case kit.

You're welcome

I might eventually, but the original owner took great mechanical care of this thing. I think until it needs it, I'm keeping it as stock as I can. It's going to be a ride around town Jeep for me. Just puts a smile on my face to drive it. I've had several old trucks, and nothing but this and my old 76 k5 blazer would I consider putting my daughter in to ride with me. The original owner got it in April of 1978, and is now 82 and unfortunately blind now. If not for his son in-law working on it and letting it sit for 2 months with out finishing the water pump replacement, I wouldn't have had the chance to get it. Just feel lucky to have such a cool and relaxing vehicle to drive again.

First thing I want to get done is repaint all the black and fix the rust in the fender flares. Wish they had left the top blue, but a better black paint job will look nice. Also, get the wheels painted either back to the original white, or possibly the blue body color. Then I need to get the Cherokee chief decals.

Oh it wont need it. It's all the other stuff the full time quadrajunk wears out like $planetary$ $gears$ $spindles$ $axle$ $shaft$ $inner and outer bearings$ $transmissions$ $gas$ and the list goes on. There is no slippage and everything is locked together and turning all the time. Not efficient at all and very expensive down the road a ways. Just trying to give you a heads up in advance. You'll be chasing your tail fixing symptoms instead of the root cause.

Oh it wont need it. It's all the other stuff the full time quadrajunk wears out like $planetary$ $gears$ $spindles$ $axle$ $shaft$ $inner and outer bearings$ $transmissions$ $gas$ and the list goes on. There is no slippage and everything is locked together and turning all the time. Not efficient at all and very expensive down the road a ways. Just trying to give you a heads up in advance. You'll be chasing your tail fixing symptoms instead of the root cause.

Yep, not as forgiving as an old np203 in the K5. When the time comes, I'll be happy to replace it if needed. Right now, it will probably be lucky to do 15-20 miles a week. The whole driveline was gone through and everything that needed was replaced about 8 years ago, and was very rarely driven after that. Most of its issues are from sitting for months at a time without being driven or started. I just need to make room for it in the garage, to keep it out of the weather. It

I'm a huge full sized Jeep fan.
Start by getting rid of the Quadra Junk and going with manual locking hubs and the transfer case kit.

You're welcome

I will say this, once I get it looking the way I want manual hubs and transfer case kit are on the list of to dos. Just not primary.

Back
Top Bottom