20ga O/U recommendation

UGA FAN

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
97   0
Reaction score
Have always been a semi-auto shooter, but looking to try out an O/U. Anyone have any feedback on a 20ga under $800? Would be used for mostly for dove & quail.

Have always been a semi-auto shooter, but looking to try out an O/U. Anyone have any feedback on a 20ga under $800? Would be used for mostly for dove & quail.

Most of the sub $1000 OU shotguns are essentially a club. In that price range I'd jump on a Benelli Montefeltro 20 and go to town.

At a turkey shoot recently, I met a man & his teenage son who had a Yildiz 20 gauge over / under that came from AcademySports. It looked just like a TriStar that I had seen at Walmart but apparently the company makes a version just for Academy called Yidliz.

It was not a youth model -- it was the standard size 20 gauge. I handled it and I was both impressed with its light weight and slim wood dimensions.

but ...I also thought that would make it less useful to actually shoot and break clays with. It probably would have significant recoil with all but the lightest bird shot loads.

It was a good looking gun and seemed like a good value for around $400-$500.

Shot a Stevens 555 20 gauge last weekend just for giggles (one of the 4H kid's guns) :thumb::thumb: It wasn't near the Beretta 686 12 gauge I normally shoot, but then there is a pretty big price gap. You get whatcha pay for.
If the 4-H youth is shooting more than "modified trap" his dad will more than likely be buying him a new gun next season.
The less expensive o/u simply do not hold up with the higher volume of rounds required to compete in 4-H Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays.

CZ makes a couple of o/u which are in the $800 - $1000 price range. If you are shooting a few hundred rounds a year for hunting or an occasional round of clays these seem to be a good value and have a good warranty.

Back
Top Bottom