• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22lr vs 22mag vs 5.7

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
Looking at many videos on ballistic gel testing, it seems like there's not much difference in performance - shot from a pistol - between 5.7 and modern 22 mag ammo optimized for short barrels.

Then looking at 22lr Punch vs 22 mag and there doesn't seem to be much difference in ballistic gel.

Makes one wonder if a 22lr loaded with Punch ammo wouldn't be satisfactory for self-defense.

There are a number of differences.

Big ones:
1. 5.7x28 is centerfire. Inherently more reliable than rimfire. This is the biggest one for me.
2. 5.7 defeats level 2 armor out of handgun, and depending on round selection, can defeat level 3.
2b. 22lr and 22 mag are stopped dead in their tracks by level 2 armor.
3. Generally and roughly speaking, 5.7 has over double the energy of 22 mag out of a handgun.

There are a number of differences.

Big ones:
1. 5.7x28 is centerfire. Inherently more reliable than rimfire. This is the biggest one for me.
2. 5.7 defeats level 2 armor out of handgun, and depending on round selection, can defeat level 3.
2b. 22lr and 22 mag are stopped dead in their tracks by level 2 armor.
3. Generally and roughly speaking, 5.7 has over double the energy of 22 mag out of a handgun.
Spot on!

No such thing. A 50 BMG round into the chest doesn't even guarantee a stop.
Remember the video of the sniper in Afghanistan using a 50bmg hitting a goober over a mile away on the side of the mountain. Goober exploded into pieces

22mag gets my vote. If it'll drop a big hog it'll drop a big man

Back
Top Bottom